[Nfbmt] on nfb.org

Rik James rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:53:47 UTC 2016

Weaving through all of that is tiresome.
If the Times want to sue me, they can.
Here is marc's letter below.
I was glad to see his letter.
I just re-read the Hoagland piece yesterday.
Thanks, Joy for alerting me to our national president's letter.
I don't yet know which edition it is in our Newsline edition of the paper.
But here is how I found it. I put Riccobono and Hoagland in the Search
field, and the New York Times came up quickly.

I hope there will be more letters!
Rik

November 29, 2016
Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

Re "Feeling My Way Into Blindness" (Disability series, Sunday Review, Nov.
20):

My heart went out to Edward Hoagland when I read his essay. I remember that
I once let blindness make me a passenger in my own life. That changed when I
encountered a vast network of other blind people who convinced me that
blindness did not define me, who taught me nonvisual ways to handle everyday
and not-so-everyday tasks, and encouraged me to expect more of myself.

Without that experience, I might still live in fear of hurting myself or
breaking things when I walk down the sidewalk, and I might regularly
mismatch my shoes and socks.

I am now a successful blind man married to a blind woman, living a rich,
full life with her and our three children, and serving as president of the
National Federation of the Blind, a membership organization of tens of
thousands of blind people.

So my next correspondence will be to Mr. Hoagland, to offer him the love and
support from an extended blind family that changed my life and can change
his.

MARK RICCOBONO

Baltimore