[Nfbmt] Courtesy rules of blindness

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 18:49:01 UTC 2016

These are taken from the NFB web site.  I put them here to stimulate
discussion.

The Courtesy Rules of Blindness

When you meet me don't be ill at ease. It will help both of us if you
remember these simple points of courtesy:

1I'm an ordinary person, just blind. You don't need to raise your voice or
address me as if I were a child. Don't ask my spouse what I want -- "Cream in
the coffee?" -- ask me.

2I may use a long white cane or a guide dog to walk independently; or I may
ask to take your arm. Let me decide, and please don't grab my arm; let me
take

yours. I'll keep a half-step behind to anticipate curbs and steps.

3I want to know who's in the room with me. Speak when you enter. Introduce me
to the others. Include children, and tell me if there's a cat or dog.

4The door to a room or cabinet or to a car left partially open is a hazard to
me.

5At dinner I will not have trouble with ordinary table skills.

6Don't avoid words like "see." I use them, too. I'm always glad to see you.

7I don't want pity. But don't talk about the "wonderful compensations" of
blindness. My sense of smell, touch, or hearing did not improve when I became

blind. I rely on them more and, therefore, may get more information through
those senses than you do - that's all.

8If I'm your houseguest, show me the bathroom, closet, dresser, window - the
light switch, too. I like to know whether the lights are on.

9I'll discuss blindness with you if you're curious, but it's an old story to
me. I have as many other interests as you do.

10Don't think of me as just a blind person. I'm just a person who happens to
be blind.

Address: P.O. Box 1325, Great Falls, MT 59403

Phone: (406) 454-3096

Email: president at nfbofmt.org

Web Site: www.nfbofmt.org

It's TIME to Eliminate Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities

http://www.nfb.org/TIME

Donate to the National Federation of the Blind of Montana
<http://www.nfbofmt.org/donate.html>