[Nfbmt] Remembering Ruby

Marks, Jim blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 03:38:33 UTC 2016

The following is an update I sent my staff today.  I thought the NFB-MT list
would like to see it.  In my role as the Administrator of the Disability
Employment and Transitions Division of the Montana Department of Public
Health and Human Services, I try to send out a weekly update to my staff
members.  The updates allow me to connect the programs of the Division,
which include Montana Blind and Low Vision Services, with what it means to
have a disability.  To understand blindness and other disabilities,
professional service providers need to know people with disabilities must
assert our fundamental human right for self-determination in a world that
tries to rob people with disabilities from control over our own lives and
the services we use.  Knowing a bit about where we've been and where we are
going requires an understanding of our history.  This particular update is
about three Montanans who were blind and who helped pave the way to improved
security, opportunity, and equality for people with disabilities.  This
update is very short compared to what could have been said.  In fact, I may
add to the story by adding more details and publishing an extended article
in other forums such as the Braille Monitor of the National Federation of
the Blind.  To that end, it sure would be helpful if others on this list
could share more details about the topic.  Also, I believe everything I
included is accurate, but, if you see anything that requires correction,
please speak up.  I hope you enjoy this slice of history.  Thanks much, and
keep reading the forward below.

BTW, Ruby Huckaba was a very bubbly person.  She gave me the information
when I interviewed her sometime in the 1990s when Ruby was in her late 70s.
I miss her warmth and cheerfulness.  Her stories are well worth the
re-telling.

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com