[Nfbmt] Who uses what?

Marks, Jim blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 04:03:30 UTC 2016

Sorry to be so slow in replying and for missing so many Chapter meetings.
Seems like life keeps getting the way of participating like I want.  I have
to admit that I missed the most recent Chapter meeting because I went to a
music concert by Iris Dement.  Iris was wonderful, but so is our collective
activity.

The device I use the most these days is my Android smart phone.  It's a jack
of all trades sort of device.  I use in the usual way for things like making
calls and texting.  And there are lots of really good apps for blind people,
too.  For example, I use the KNFB Reader app that makes my smart phone a
portable reading tool.  It really works well, so much so, I can't figure out
how I got along without it.  Another useful app is Nearby Explorer, a way
finding tool designed for blind users.  It's accurate enough to walk in
unfamiliar places with confidence.  Yet another app is the Ideal Currency
Identifier.  It tells me the denomination of bills.  I often use mainstream
apps such as Google Maps.  It allows me to navigate from a car.  I simply
tell it where I want to go, and it gives step-by-step driving instructions
for my drivers and me.  There are far more apps I could mention, but this
gives an idea of why I like my smart phone so much.

My phone is a Galaxy Note 3, and it's now over two years old.  Newer phones
perform even better, but what I have is so good, I'm actually reluctant to
give it up.  To help operate the phone, I use a separate Braille Bluetooth
keyboard called the Focus 14.  It takes a while to get the knack of using
it, and I learn new things almost every time I try to use the device.

Now, I know a lot of blind folks really like the Apple phones.  Today,
though, the Android option is every bit as good as the Apple.  And I have to
admit I like the diversity of Android.  Apple's stuff is elegant and well
supported, but Apple takes the philosophy of not caring much about user
input and favoring giving us technology the company thinks we need.  Android
is more user generated, and, as a consequence, sometimes frustrating to use
as frequent app updates require relearning things over and over again.
Still, I like the challenge.  Really, using technology means adopting an
attitude of problem solving in a very dynamic environment.  Technology not
only gives me tools to use, it keeps my thinking cap functioning like it
should.

Best!

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com