[Nfbmt] Who uses what?

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:54:47 UTC 2016

Low and high tech solutions:

A slate and stylus.  Who uses that any more?  I do, I do.  It doesn't wear
out, doesn't need batteries, and isn't too expensive to replace.  I used to
take notes on it in college, but that was another era when the dinosaurs
roamed.

Also a Braille writer.  Not as portable as a notetaker and much too loud to
use anywhere but home.  But still mighty functional.  I have had mine since I
was ten.  I use it every day.

Various notetakers, all of which are so outdated they do not do email or
internet any more.  Ah well, maybe some day.

A Samsung Haven flip cell phone, which speaks every function to me.  I use it
to make phone calls and text.  They don't make them any more so if I want one
I have to find it used.

Talking clock: Tells the time and the indoor and outdoor temperature on the
hour.  Shuts up between eleven p.m. and eight a.m.

Braille Watch:  Silently tells me the time.

Desktop and Laptop Computer with JAWS (Job Access with Speech) Screen Reader.
Pretty much indispensable.  I need to figure out why the laptop computer
doesn't connect with Wyfi systems in hotels and other places other than home,
though.

Printer/scanner/copier/fax machine:  As a scanner, it lets me weed out junk
mail and know what my bills and other mail are, as long as they are not
handwritten.  We haven't had someone read our mail in over fifteen years now.
I love the autonomy and privacy of that.

Trekker Breeze:  GPS System.  It doesn't do everything I would like it to do,
but it's cheaper than many and better than nothing.

Victor Reader Stream:  Love to download books and podcasts with this and
listen to internet radio and NFB NewslineR.

Talking Thermometer: I have more than one, one for use in the kitchen, which
I don't use much but it is handy for checking the internal temperature of
meats or poultry, and one for human body temperature use.  They are not
interchangeable.

I know someone who has a talking microwave.  Now that has to be a cool
device.  I have mine marked in Braille.  Same with my gas range, dishwasher,
and washer and dryer.

I.D. Mate:  A bar code scanner that speaks.  Most of the time it will tell
you what item you are scanning, and even give you preparation instructions on
some items.

Labeling Tape:  It comes on a roll that you can put into a Braille writer and
write Braille on it, then peel off the sticker and stick it on a box or can
or CD or whatever you want to label.  It comes in two sizes, one is one
Braille line, and the other will take three or four. One is probably four
inches by 1/2 inch, and the other is probably 4 inches square.

Dymo tape:  Another type of peel-and-stick labeling tape that comes in a
roll, but is much sturdier.  You can write on it with a Braille writer, a
slate and stylus, or a Dymo tape writer.

There is another type of Braille labeling that I use in the freezer.  It
consists of plastic labels that can hold one or two lines of Braille.  They
have a hole at each end that you can put an elastic band into, and then
stretch it onto a package or box and put it in the freezer.  They are
reusable.  They are easier to read in the cold freezer because they are more
sturdy than most other labeling methods, and because they aren't stick-on
labels they don't often come off in the freezer.

Money Identifier:  I like to carry this with me and slip a bill in it and
push a button and it usually tells me the denomination of the bill.  Handy
for when no one else is around, which is often the case.

Talking Compass: Something I got thinking I would use it a lot, and I don't.

White cane or guide dog:  Mobility devices.  One has a wagging tail and sheds
and needs to be fed and taken out; the other one doesn't.  But one is so much
more cuddly than the other.

I have been thinking lately how many of these gadgets could be replaced by a
Smart phone.  I could probably open my own gadget store.  Joy