[Nfbmt] Who uses what?

Marks, Jim blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 04:10:31 UTC 2016

Iris is really great.  She performed at Helena's Myrna theater.  It's a very
intimate environment.  Iris's speaking and signing voices are very different
from one another.  She did a lot of storytelling, another performer
characteristic I really love.  She definitely speaks with an Arkansas
accent.  She and her husband, Greg Brown, another top notch singer and song
writer, live in Iowa.  I saw Greg at Red Ants Pants in White Sulphur Springs
a couple years ago.  Anyhow, Iris told a funny story about taking her
elderly mother to the doctor's office.  She said they were filling out yet
another long list of patient maladies, and they came across a question about
whether her mother lost any organs.  She said her mother leaned towards her
with a wicked smile on her face and quipped, "I've never lost an organ, but
I sold a pretty good piano once."  Iris's accent pronounced piano as piana
and once as oncest.  Jaws butchers the pronunciation, but I hope you can
imagine the southern speech.  On the way out, I had a brief moment to stand
a few feet from her.  She is a smallish person with one heck of a big voice.

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com