[Nfbmt] KNFB Reader Wins AppleVis Golden Apple Award

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 21:16:05 UTC 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

KNFB Reader Wins AppleVis Golden Apple Award
App that Gives the Blind Access to Print
Wins Award for Second Consecutive Year

Baltimore, Maryland (January 4, 2016): The National Federation of the Blind
is pleased to announce that KNFB Reader has been chosen by the AppleVis
community as the winner of the Best Assistive iOS App of the year for the
second year in a row. AppleVis Golden Apple Awards are awarded by community
votes to developers in recognition of excellence in iOS apps. AppleVis
reports that KNFB Reader won the vote for 2015 in a "landslide." To learn
more about AppleVis Golden Apple Awards, visit:
http://www.applevis.com/blog/advocacy-applevis-ios-apps-mac-apps-news/applevi
s-community-names-apps-and-developer-were-its .
This award follows the 2014 AppleVis Golden Apple win for Best Assistive App,
and the induction of KNFB Reader into the AppleVis iOS Hall of Fame. Hall of
Fame apps are nominated and voted on by the AppleVis community.
The KNFB Reader is a fast, accurate, and efficient text recognition mobile
app that delivers near instantaneous results. It has reading modes for books,
articles and labels, and bills and memos. The app allows for high quality
digital output to speech or refreshable Braille displays. It provides a field
of view report and tilt guidance for more accurate capturing of print in the
photograph, and automatic text detection. The scanned material can be
imported, exported in txt and html formats, and stored to cloud storage
including Dropbox and Google Drive. The app also has a batch scan mode to
process and read multiple page documents such as manuals or books.
During the 2015 holiday season, KNFB Reader offered a discount of 25% off the
regular price. The sale price of $74.99 is available through today, January
4, 2016. To learn more about the KNFB Reader or to purchase, visit
www.nfb.org/knfbreader.
Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"KNFB Reader is an app developed by the blind, for the blind. We deeply
appreciate this acknowledgement by the blind community that our work is
having such a meaningful impact on the ability of blind people throughout the
world to access printed information."
Scott White, Director of Sponsored Technology Programs at the National
Federation of the Blind, said: "We are extremely pleased that the AppleVis
community is rewarding the way this app helps level the playing field in
education, the workplace, and daily living. Making the print yours with KNFB
Reader is one more way the NFB helps blind people live the lives they want."

###

About the National Federation of the Blind: