[Nfbmt] check this out

James Aldrich jkaldrich at samobile.net
Thu Mar 31 03:49:02 UTC 2016

Hi all,

There isn't anything which reads handwriting.  That is the reality till
that possibility is solved.  It is my uneducated guess that it is a
lack of a font.  Perhaps it is more complex than that!

I would say the receipt one tries to read should not be wrinkled or dog
eared. If the printed receipt is in good shape, parts of it or all of
the printing on the receipt can be read.  I'll have to try the grocery
store receipt some time.  Dar and I had a question on a Schwans
receipt.  We thought we were being charged for something we didn't
order or something we ordered wasn't on the receipt.  I can't remember
what was the case!  I believe the receipt showed us a given product
wasn't on our order.  The KNFB Reader did a nice job of reading that
printed receipt. More and more entities are using printed receipts.
Certainly this is a step forward!  I'll have to try those airplane
materials whenever I fly next.

Right now, over spring break, the KNFB Reader is $87.  This is a good
time to get it!  The KNFB Reader is certainly more portable than a PC
and Scanner and it is in one's phone be it IOS or Android. It isn't
perfect but it certainly is very useful!  Perhaps the best thing one
can say, it takes practice, practice, practice!

I would encourage all of you to go to Blind Bargains.com and listen to
the many audio podcasts of what was being featured at Sea Sun
Conference for 2016.  Many say this is the year of braille. We could
see that $300 to $500 braille display this year!  NFB, APH and one
other US organization are involved with this project.  The B2P
available now from National Braille Press is finally available for
$2495.  Dean Blazie is very much involved with this device which uses
android.  It too has scanning capability for scanning printed material.
One can see a number of low vision products as well.  Do check it out!
The Humanware APEX is getting a face lift.  It will be a combination
tablet and braille notetaker. One can use the braille keyboard which is
in the carrying case or attached to it somehow or take it out of the
case and it is an android tablet with a braille keyboard on the screen
which can be turned off and it is more like any android tablet.  This
certainly is impressive but so is the price of $5495 which is the same
as present day Apex notetakers.  Keysoft is still used but updated.  I
thought Hims had an equivalent product but haven't found it yet!

The ID Mate Quest has been updated to the ID Mate Galaxy. Do get that
KNFB Reader at the reduced price while you have a chance!

Jim