[NFBMT] Montana State Library Commission Public Comments

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 05:18:54 UTC 2017

I posted a message about this meeting last week on the list.  Eighteen people
from the SOP were at this public comment session, and most of them were
crying.  Granted, they are in the same town as the Montana State library, but
there was a go to meeting link and a conference call phone number given in
the original message.  They were there in force and the only one of us that
was there was Bruce.  I would have been there but for a hastily scheduled
dentist appointment.  I am very disappointed.

Here is part of an email between Christie and me.

Snip snip

Budget cuts are always difficult and affect everyone and all services. Letter
writing to our state representatives, senators and the governor are always
helpful and supportive. However, HB2 was approved and signed by the Governor
and will take effect on July 1st. What this means for the state library under
HB2 is that four positions, two in talking books and two in the Digital
Library department, will be eliminated.  Reorganization will be done to cover
the duties and responsibilities of these four positions by the existing
staff, including remaining TBL staff.

According to SB261, additional cuts to other state library program positions
may need to be made if revenue triggers are not met by August 15th. The
proposal for both cuts will be voted on at the June 14th Commission meeting.

TBL services won't be eliminated at this time, but the plan to reorganize TBL
by July 7th came as a complete surprise to me. I unfortunately do not have
details of that plan, as I was not involved with developing it.

Snip snip

Bruce said that what he got from the meeting was that the reading room at the
State Library will be closed, the Montana Talking Book Library will merge
with the Montana Digital Library, and that two positions from the MTBL and
two positions from the Digital Library will be cut, with more possible.  One
of the three reader advisor positions will be cut from the Montana Talking
Book Library, as well as the Supervisor position, currently held by Christie
Briggs.

Here is my public comment to the State Library Commissioners.

Snip snip

I think these proposed budget cuts are unfortunate, although I understand why
they are being proposed, to comply with budget cuts in House bill 2, passed
by the 2017 Montana legislature.

Since the Montana State Library is a relatively small agency in the first
place, cutting staff and reorganizing their duties will put an added stress
on those that remain.  My dealings with the staff have always been cordial,
and I have always found them to be knowledgeable and professional.  Having
been laid off almost two years ago from my own job, I feel this personally.
I don't like to see people so dedicated and so qualified lose their jobs
unnecessarily.  I am particularly pleased with the Talking Book Library
service, having been a patron of theirs for years.  If these budget cuts go
through, I think we will do the best we can with what we have left, and my
hope is that this budget cutting cycle will indeed be a cycle, and will
eventually swing up again.  I feel that budget cuts like these are being put
on the backs of those who can least afford them, on the whim of those who
don't feel them in their everyday lives.  It's unfortunate when the bottom
line overrules common sense, and governs the quality of people's lives.

I am speaking as an individual, and not a representative of any group or
organization.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Snip snip

If anybody else wants to submit a public comment, here are the links.

Jennie Stapp, Montana State Library Director JStapp2 at mt.gov

Karen Keninger, Executive Director, National Library Service kken at loc.gov

If any other public comments are posted somewhere, I will keep you advised.