[NFBMT] Rideshare Testing

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Mon May 1 14:22:29 UTC 2017

Hi, fellow Montana Federationists.

Starting on May 8, NFB will be doing some ride share testing to keep Uber and
Lyft accountable to their blind passengers regarding the transport of
individuals with service dogs.  The link below takes you to a recent article
which demonstrates how necessary it still is to hold their feet to the fire.
There has been a settlement with Uber and Lyft and NFB, but we still want
transparency and to be able to monitor the compliance of these ride share
companies.  There will be more information forthcoming as we roll this out.

https://www.wkrn.com/2017/04/26/blind-nashville-man-says-he-was-denied-ride-f
rom-lyft-driver/

This testing will be a critical tool for measuring Uber and Lyft's compliance
with their NFB settlement agreements and will help NFB fulfill its agreement
obligations. Participants' ongoing feedback will allow NFB to closely track
the rideshare companies' efforts to provide equal access to riders with
service animals. As you know, Uber and Lyft offer easy and affordable
transportation services to the public, and these services should be fully and
equally available to blind riders with service animals.

The NFB's Uber and Lyft testing program will be administered nationwide,
including in Puerto Rico. Per the Lyft settlement agreement, NFB is obligated
to gather and report on testing in the following targeted municipalities:
Baltimore, Seattle, Dallas-Fort Worth, Boston, New York, Nashville, Phoenix,
Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, and
the District of Columbia. This effort with be in addition to the nationwide
testing.

This Lyft and Uber testing program is open to all riders with service animals
and any individuals traveling with riders with service animals. Testers need
not be members of the NFB, rather we strongly encourage nonmembers to
participate and by extension learn more about the NFB's work.

Specifically, we ask affiliates to ensure that a minimum of two Uber tests
are completed per month. For those aforementioned Lyft-targeted cities, we
ask affiliates to ensure that three Lyft tests and an additional two Uber
tests (yielding four monthly Uber tests total) are also gathered. A test will
be considered complete once the rider submits his/her answers to the online
testing questionnaire. We are seeking feedback on positive and negative ride
experiences.

Testing will begin on May 8 and will last for three years, with the
possibility of a two-year extension if either Uber or Lyft fail to meet the
terms outlined in their settlement agreement with the NFB.

I am super excited about this opportunity to spread the word about the NFB,
and to make sure that service dog users are treated equally and fairly under
the law.