[NFBMT] Legislative Alert: 09/15/2017

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 09:13:52 UTC 2017

See a message from John Pare below, and also our Senators' contact
information.  Joy

Dear Fellow Federationists:

Thank you for all of your calls and emails regarding the elimination of the
increased standard deduction for blind people.

So, here is where we stand as of today (Wednesday, November 15). The House
bill has gone to the House floor and will most likely be voted on and passed
tomorrow, November 16. It eliminates the additional standard deduction for
the blind. The Senate Committee on Finance is currently debating the Senate
version of the bill. The Senate version does not modify the existing
additional standard deduction for the blind.

The next key step will be when the Senate bill goes to the floor of the
Senate for a final vote. It is possible that Senator Boozman will be
permitted to offer an amendment to include the Access Technology
Affordability Act in the Senate's version of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. This
is what we have been hoping for since January.

The number one thing we can do to help this effort is to add cosponsors to
the Access Technology Affordability Act in the Senate (S. 732). There are
currently three cosponsors on the bill, Senators Cardin and Van Hollen from
Maryland and Senator Coons from Delaware. Therefore, please call or email
your two senators and urge them to cosponsor S. 732, the Access Technology
Affordability Act of 2017.

The best way to contact your senators is to call the Capitol Switchboard at
(202) 224-3121 and ask for the office in question. If you email your
senators, please copy me at JPare at nfb.org <mailto:JPare at nfb.org> .

Warm regards,

John

John G. Pare Jr.

Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, extension 2218  jpare at nfb.org <mailto:jpare at nfb.org>
<https://nfb.org/>
<http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
<https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

Office of Senator Jon Tester

311 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510-2604

Phone: (202) 224-2644

Fax: (202) 224-8594

https://www.tester.senate.gov/

 <https://www.tester.senate.gov/?p=email_senator> Email Senator Tester

Senator Tester's Montana staff serves the state from offices in Billings,
Bozeman, Butte, Glendive, Great Falls, Kalispell, Helena, and Missoula.
Please bring your concerns with federal agencies, academy nominations, and
other situations to one of these Montana offices.

*             BILLINGS

Judge Jameson Federal Building
2900 4th Ave N, Suite 201
Billings, MT 59101