[NFBMT] A Reflection on the Special Session

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 16:19:23 UTC 2017

It was a disappointing special session if one hoped for sustaining Montana's human services.  If you believe in smaller government and no new taxes, then the session was successful.  However, there is no doubt that the shrinking of state government will hurt many Montanans.  Our future looks to be one of diminishing services.  There will be cuts, and Blind and Low Vision Services will carry a substantial part of the burden.  For sure, the NFB-MT must be relentless in our advocacy.  Please roll up your sleeves and let's sustain our clear message and quest for the services on which we all depend.

Oh, one more thing.  The cuts proposed by the Governor favor institutional-based rather than community-based services.  Tough financial times seem to fund nursing homes and other large institutions at the expense of services in our communities and homes.  This is a bit baffling from a fiscal point of view in that institutional services are far more expensive than community services.  However, there is a strong lobby out there to fund those institutions at the expense of the people who are forced to use them.  Advocates for institutions are well-funded and eager to make their living on the backs of the blind and other people with disabilities.  We must resist.  We really need to hit the theme of informed choice and careers in our communities with comparable wages and advancement opportunities.  We've come too far to roll back the advances we've won.  Again, we have to stick with it, tell our stories, and show up time and time again.  We can do this, but we sure do have a fight on our hands, folks.

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com