[NFBMT] Special Session

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 21:11:08 UTC 2017

Sure is a good summary.  Thanks for pasting the article in the body of the
e-mail.

BLVS faces budget problems that go beyond the budget crisis.  Here are more
details.

BLVS and its partner general disability VR program overspent its budget by a
considerable margin in the last two years, Federal Fiscal Year 2016 and
2017.  The amounts were $3.5 million in 2016 and $5.5 million in 2017.  The
entire VR budget is about $20 million per year.  The overspending was caused
by the changes in the federal rules.  The 2014 Workforce Innovation and
Opportunity Act amendments to the Rehabilitation Act required 100 changes to
VR.  Many of these were massive changes, much like the difference between
knowing the world as flat or round.  In fact, the changes are so drastic,
that the VR of today and tomorrow looks very little like the VR of
yesterday.  These changes have three main themes:  An emphasis on youth,
requirements for work in the community for comparable wages and advancement
opportunities, and alignment with other workforce development programs.  One
of these themes, the youth focus, mandates that VR set aside 15% of its
federal dollars for Pre-Employment Transition Services.  These are very
specific services for a subset of youth that VR never provided previously.
Doing the math, that leaves VR with 85% of its resources to do everything it
always has done plus managing all the other 99 changes expected by the
federal rules.  Montana was very successful in adopting the new
Pre-Employment Transition Services.  In fact, Montana was one of the two
combined state VR agencies to comply with the mandate for Pre-Employment
Transition Services in 2016.  There are 80 state agencies across the
country, so Montana proved to be a cutting edge national leader in
re-purposing its resources.  Unfortunately, Montana did not curb spending on
all the rest of its responsibilities.  Thus, Montana overspent in 2016 by
the amount it spent on Pre-Employment  Transition Services.  The financial
hole Montana dug for itself was compounded by not applying the Order of
Selection as soon as it should have.  Montana closed all of its Disability
Level Categories in March 2017 when it probably should have implemented the
full Order of Selection as soon as January 2016.  The Order of Selection is
the legally mandated method VR agencies must apply when the agency does not
have enough resources to keep up with demand for services.  The reason for
the Order is to make sure VR resources go to those with the most significant
disabilities first.  It works by creating a wait list to start an
Individualized Plan for Employment.  Those with Plans get to continue as
usual, but those who have yet to begin a Plan must wait for resources to
build up enough to begin in-plan services.  It's much like there is a room
in which those with Plans can enjoy full services, while those not yet
admitted to the room must wait until those inside leave the room as they
achieve their Plans or drop out for any reason.  The Order applies only to
the vocational rehabilitation services and not its other programs such as
Independent Living Services for the Older Blind, the Business Enterprise
Program, or NFB Newsline.  Because Montana delayed implementing the Order
fully, it dug a very deep financial hole that makes it harder from which to
escape.  This means that Montana will be in an Order for a very long while.
Some with less significant disabilities may never be able to access VR
services in Montana.  This is happening all across the country because the
cause is the federal rules.  Those rules bring a great deal of good, but it
also brings change.  To go forward, BLVS has to let go of much of its past
and attend to a different future.  Again, all of this is national in nature
and not a matter of Montana being unique.  It's also intentional on the part
of the US Congress because the changes came from deep dissatisfaction with
national VR performance.  The national VR program was not changing the
employment statistics of people with disabilities, so Congress wanted to
shake up the services with new ways of making a difference.  It remains to
be seen whether the changes will deliver better outcomes.  In addition, it's
really hard on VR agencies to make the changes quickly without negatively
affecting many of its core services.  Congress knew this, but didn't care.
They wanted radical differences, and that's what's behind Montana's
financial crisis.  When we add the additional state government cuts, it
makes a bad situation much worse.

My biggest fear for BLVS is that it will be consumed with an attitude that
money is more important than people.  Right now, the fiscal hawks run the
show.  We need the program oriented folks to make sure we have a balance
between fiscal and program concerns.  There's no doubt BLVS will have less
resources to do its job of the past, yet there is hope that the new ways
will make a difference.  We have to avoid the very real danger of state
government leaders forcing an abnormal attitude of fiscal conservativism on
the wonderful staff of BLVS.

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com