[NFBMT] National Federation of the Blind Celebrates White Cane Awareness Day

BRESLAUERS breslauerj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 13:47:23 UTC 2017

National Federation of the Blind Celebrates White Cane Awareness Day

Submitted by seller on Fri, 09/29/2017 - 08:37

Blog Date:

Monday, October 2, 2017

Stephanie Eller

Categories:

 <https://nfb.org/taxonomy/term/275> General

Most of us are familiar with  <https://nfb.org/white-cane-safety-day> White
Cane Safety Day. Over the years, however, the significance of the white cane
has shifted from safety to independence for blind people. To emphasize this
shift, and to continue to use the white cane as a symbol, the National
Federation of the Blind will now refer to this day as
<https://nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day> White Cane Awareness Day. As
President Riccobono said, "White Cane Awareness Day is our way of emphasizing
the critical role that this tool plays in living the lives we want and
informing the public about its true significance."

You may be wondering how you can celebrate White Cane Awareness Day on
October 15. Below are some ideas for what you and your chapter can do to
commemorate the day.

*         Set up a booth at a local mall and pass out brochures, demonstrate
cane travel, and answer questions.

*         Get a group together and go out to a restaurant, movie theater, or
other busy place so that people see canes in action.

*         Participate in or simply attend local programs, fall festivals, or
events. Show the community how blind people live the lives we want.

*         Host a white cane walk.

*         Ask to visit your mayor or governor's office to witness the signing
of a
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/white-cane-awareness-day-proclamat
ion-final.docx> White Cane Awareness Day proclamation.

*         Promote #WhiteCaneAwarenessDay on social media and share your story
of what the white cane means to you.

*         Encourage friends and family to give the gift of independence by
supporting  <https://nfb.org/donate2017> White Cane Giving Day.

The goal is to show our communities how the white cane helps us live the
lives we want. Share with us in the comments below or via social media how
the white cane helps you and what you're doing to celebrate White Cane
Awareness Day. We're on
<https://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind/> Facebook,
<https://twitter.com/nfb_voice> Twitter, and
<https://www.instagram.com/nfb_voice/> Instagram, and we'll be following the
hashtags #WhiteCaneAwarenessDay and #WhiteCaneGiving.

The Voice of the Nation's Blind (VONB) blog is a publication designed to be a
platform for bloggers to share their stories. The comments section is there
to provide readers a forum where they can discuss the content that the VONB
contributors have shared. In order to keep it a safe and welcoming space, the
moderators will not approve any comments that are offensive, off topic, of a
soliciting nature (i.e. asking for donations), or inflammatory. Nor will they
approve comments that contain personal information or that appear to be spam.
If you would like more information about why your comment was not approved,
please email.

C2017 All Rights Reserved - Copyright 2017 National Federation of the Blind
 <https://nfb.org/privacy-policy> Privacy Policy