[NFBMT] NFB of Montana Committees

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:10:15 UTC 2017

Good set of committees, and I will consider which would be a good fit for
me.  I'll get back soon.

Meanwhile, I wonder if we should have a Membership Committee.  Our future
depends on bringing in new members, and it would be prudent for NFB-MT to
develop and apply strategies to increase membership.  The Committee could
also help keep chapters focused on our mission and values.  One idea is to
solicit new members through the Montana Talking Books Library.  We could pay
for a mailing by the Library to its members that would invite individuals to
join us and to share with potential members our brochure or other
information.  It could be as simple as including the invitation in the Bits
of Gold newsletter that the Library publishes.  Of course, we could go
through other organizations such as Vocational Rehabilitation and Blind
Services and college disability services.  Another idea is to go to a city
to host a public meeting.  It would take targeted advertising, perhaps
through radio and newspaper ads.  During the public meetings, we could
describe what we're doing and ask people to get involved.  It may even be a
way to start more Chapters.  Lastly, we need a way to approach individuals
to join us.  We could call someone with a conference call of two or three of
our leaders to encourage participation.  We could provide a membership
packet, both in print or other media as well as through social media like
Facebook, Linked In,  and Twitter.

BTW, the September Convention was awesome!  We had several new faces in the
room, and the agenda and discussions were really, really good.  It makes me
want to come back time and time again.  So, please know that nothing is
broken in our fine organization.  We are healthy, and making a good thing
better is the best way to assure continued positive progress.  I think a
Membership Committee would do a great deal in making sure we're advancing
our organization.

Best!

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com