[NFBMT] Helena Industries

rjaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 17:21:34 UTC 2018

Hello:

     Having only very recently moved to Montana, I don't know much about
Helena Industries. I would defer to Jim Marks' judgment. I can think of
several ways a nonprofit can get itself into debt:
1. A program is started and it doesn't bring in the expected revenue. If
funds were borrowed to start such a program, the nonprofit then has a debt.
2. As Jim mentioned, money was spent on the buildings and grounds. Just like
owning a house, a nonprofit can be surprised if airconditioning, fails, the
elevator fails, or the roof leaks. Good facilities management can help plan
for such failures, but there are always the unexpected surprises.
3. A workshop can buy equipment for a contract and then have the contract
terminated or not renewed.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Robert