[NFBMT] When You Are A Blind Patient

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 15:05:43 UTC 2018

Thanks for posting such an interesting topic!  The disability rights
movement can be characterized as a struggle to get free of the medical
model.  The medical model consists of the professional always being in
power, and the patients always being the objects of good works.  The
disability rights movement aims to strike a new balance in which people with
disabilities are in control of their own lives and the services we consume.
Mostly, it's about asserting self-determination, the lack of which is almost
always the central issue in any human struggle.  Ultimately, the NFB is a
civil rights organization advocating that blindness is ordinary and
respectable and that blind people can and should be able to live the lives
we want.  It's more than a little disturbing that our collective quest for
self-determination has always been the point over the entirety of history.
Some destructive prejudices just won't die.  At the same time, I'm happy to
be part of a movement that promises a better life for each of us, inclusive
of the blind and the sighted and people with and without disabilities.
What's good for the blind is good for everyone.

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com