[NFBMT] Montana Legislation ... where we are now

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Fri Dec 21 16:10:02 UTC 2018

Hi All,

They say making laws is a lot like making sausage.  It's hard to believe the
end result can be so tasty when one knows what goes into the process.
Something we know for certain is that blind Montanans must show up and stand
up for ourselves.  If we somehow neglect our responsibilities, others will
speak and act for us, and history clearly shows this never goes well for
blind folks.

This listserv should be used for general discussions and not replace the
governance of the NFB-MT.  Happily, we have our Convention, Board,
Committees, and Chapters for running our outfit.  Sometimes, we use the
listserv to keep members updated and to seek volunteers for NFB-MT
activities.  However, the listserv should never be used as a substitute for
running our outfit.

The name of the Committee Joy leads is the Public Policies Committee.  In
the past, we referred to this Committee as the Legislative or Government
Committee.  Now that I am President and am vested with the constitutional
power to create and name committees, I set up the Public Policies Committee
to deal with all parts of government, including the legislative, executive,
and judicial branches as well as the diversity of federal, state, and local
governments.  I charge the Public Policies Committee with the duty of
establishing and maintaining public policies that benefit members of the
NFB-MT.

I support Joy's call for others to help out with the important work of the
Public Policies Committee.  We can use one or two members to lend a hand to
the effort.

Since the topic of voting rights came up, I feel it's necessary to provide a
bit more clarification.  We learned after our wonderful Convention last
September that the 2017 Legislature passed an electronic voting bill that
the Governor signed already.  This relatively new law establishes a method
of voting electronically by people with disabilities.  In other words, we
already have what one of our 2018 Resolutions called for.  This voting
technology relies on a PDF ballot, so we have more work to do to figure out
if the system truly is accessible to and usable by blind Montana voters.  If
it is not, then we will work with the Secretary of State to make changes.
Additional legislation is not needed.  The other 2018 Resolution that dealt
with voting rights will be addressed through a bill that proposes to study
voting rights for people with disabilities.  Thus, we are dropping nothing
we planned to do, and we are simply moving forward to see our collective
will through to reality.

I'll spare everyone additional details of what's going on with our Public
Policies Committee work.  We sure are busy and hopeful we will gain and hold
important ground.  Please feel free to contact Joy or me with any questions,
ideas, or concerns.  From time-to-time, Joy will post updates on this
listserv.  The rich details behind the sausage making... I mean the public
policy making, will be left up to the NFB-MT governance.

Best!

Jim Marks
President, National Federation of the Blind of Montana
president at nfbofmt.org