[NFBMT] National Federation of the Blind Applauds United Airlines for Prudent Service Animal Policy

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 01:12:01 UTC 2018

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Applauds United Airlines for Prudent Service
Animal Policy

Major air carrier's policy on trained service animals remains unchanged

Baltimore, Maryland (February 6, 2018): The National Federation of the Blind,
the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people, commends United
Airlines for announcing that there will be no changes to its policies
regarding travelers with dog guides and other service animals, as opposed to
animals that may fit other categories.

"Blind people have worked for decades to make sure that dog guides are
trained and managed in a manner that supports the equal treatment of blind
people in public places," said Mark Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind. "Every day, dog guides facilitate smooth and
independent travel by the thousands of blind people who choose to use them,
including my own wife. Unnecessary and burdensome notice and documentation
requirements would have limited the independence of these travelers. We
therefore thank United for continuing to recognize the qualifications of
trained dog guides in its recently announced policy revisions, and we call on
all other air carriers to adopt this same approach. We also urge United and
the rest of the airline industry to engage with us to ensure that all aspects
of the air travel experience, including in-flight entertainment and the use
of mobile applications and websites, are accessible to blind people."

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded in
1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the fifty
states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of blind
people of all ages and provides information and support to families with
blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe
in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to transform them
into reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
www.nfb.org
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=10201&qid=2129297
> .

CONTACT: