[NFBMT] Montana's Minimum wage

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 00:34:16 UTC 2018

I would like to see us become more knowledgeable about the laws in Montana
that affect us.  This includes things like parental rights and minimum wage.

Maybe we should form a committee to research what the laws currently are and
how to change them for our benefit.

I have started researching laws concerning Montana's minimum wage.  This is
what I have found so far.  This is just the tip of the iceberg, though.

Montana's current minimum wage is $8.30, for employers who have more than
$110,000 in annual gross sales. MT Dept. of Labor & Industry: Minimum Wage

For employers who have gross annual sales of $110,000 or less, the minimum
wage rate is $4.00. MT Code 39-3-409(3)

Montana law requires an annual review of its minimum wage and the minimum
wage must be increased by the percentage the cost of living has changed from
the prior August to the August in the year the review is conducted. The cost
of living change is based on the consumer price index. Any change to the
minimum wage takes effect on January 1 of the following year. MT Code
39-3-409(2)

Montana employers must also comply with federal minimum wage laws, which
currently sets the federal minimum wage at $7.25. See FLSA: Minimum Wage.

If an employer chooses to pay employees minimum wage, the employer must pay
those employees in accordance with the minimum wage law, either federal or
state, that results in the employees being paid the higher wage. In most
instances in Montana, the Montana minimum wage will apply as it generally
guarantees a higher wage rate for employees than federal law.