[NFBMT] Message from Rep. Gianforte

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 01:52:07 UTC 2018

The truth is our efforts, especially in Washington last month, may
have made the vote closer than it might. Yes, 12  Democrats voted for
it, but lots of others might have to if not for our efforts in DC.
Further, about the same number of Republicans voted against it, which
ten or so Reps were absent that day. In other words, it was very, very
close when it was thought to be a foregone conclusion.

I know that in the meeting with my Colorado Congressman, who was a
cosponsor, he was visibly rattled at our firm but polite challenge of
his reasoning.

In the Senate there will have to be 60 votes to end debate if the bill
is even introduced, and ever passes out of its committee.  With the
same effort we can turn this back. Montana has to make sure that Jon
Tester knows it's bad legislation - never take a vote for granted. And
then really lean on Steve Daines and make it uncomfortable for him to
make that vote.

BTW, most of these lawsuits have been filed in the states where state
law - not the ADA - allows for damages. Those are in Florida, Texas
and California. HR620 won't even fix the real problem, if it is real.

Don't give up!

Dan