[NFBMT] CONVENTION FUNDRAISING

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 22:34:28 UTC 2018

This is a review of the fund raising opportunities we as an affiliate can
contribute to at the NFB national convention.

Six different types of fundraising will be discussed during the convention.
These are:

The White Cane Fund: A time will be set aside during the Convention when
buckets will be passed through the audience to receive cash donations for the
White Cane Fund. Affiliates will also make gifts or pledges to this fund.
These dollars go directly to the general treasury of the Federation.

The Jacobus tenBroek Fund: Donations will also be made to this fund for the
maintenance and upkeep of the NFB Jernigan Institute property. This property
houses the operations of the NFB and other entities.

The Kenneth Jernigan Fund: The proceeds from this fund are used to bring a
number of attendees to their first national convention. It is named for Dr.
Jernigan who planned our conventions for more than forty years and who did so
much to make them what they are today.

The Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) Plan: This giving opportunity enables
individuals to make regular financial contributions to support the programs
and activities of the Federation. The PAC Plan has insured a consistent flow
of monthly income to fund some of the Federation's work. By signing up for
the PAC Plan, a donor agrees to make an automatic monthly contribution to the
Federation; the donation is withdrawn directly from a checking account or
charged to a credit card. The individual designates how much he or she wants
to contribute each month and specifies a day of the month on which the money
should be withdrawn from the account. To participate in the PAC Plan, the
donor must have a checking account or credit card, complete a PAC Plan card,
sign and turn over a voided check (if the contribution is to be withdrawn
from a checking account), and begin with a monthly donation of at least
$5.00. Supporters of the Federation contribute between $350,000 and $400,000
each year through this giving opportunity.

SUN (Shares Unlimited in NFB) Shares: Supporters of the Federation are also
able to make either monthly or annual donations for SUN Shares. These funds
are being set aside in the event that they are needed to support the
Federation during difficult times.

The Imagination Fund: In January of 2004, the Federation held the grand
opening for the first and only research and training center run by the blind,
for the blind. Our National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, named
after our long-time president, Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, develops and implements
innovative programs and services that help to transform the dreams of blind
people into reality. The Imagination Fund has been established to support the
work of the Jernigan Institute. Members and friends of the organization are
asked to participate in this annual campaign by requesting contributions from
friends and colleagues and by providing names and addresses of individuals
who may be receptive to Imagination Fund solicitations. All funds raised will
be used to support the research and training programs of the Jernigan
Institute and our state affiliates.