[NFBMT] DPHHS Listening Session

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 14:43:06 UTC 2018

Hi All,

President Joy Breslauer asked me to represent the NFB-MT at the listening
session to be held by the State Budget Director and the Director of the
Department of Public Health and Human Services.  The session is scheduled
for August 1 at the Great Northern Hotel in Helena.  The purpose of the
session is to take public comment on how to spend funds that will restore
part of the State budget cuts resulting from the regular and special
legislative sessions of 2017.  DPHHS has been cut by about $70 million, and,
because State revenue exceeded expectations, about $45 million of those cuts
will be restored for upcoming fiscal years.

Joy wants me to support two things.

First, we want the cuts to the Extended Employment Program restored.  This
program provides career-long supported employment to about 300 Montanans
with disabilities.  It includes all employment options from segregated,
sub-minimum wage jobs to work in the community for comparable wages and
advancement opportunities.  For several years now, the program has been
shifting its resources to competitive integrated employment.  The State cut
the program by half, and the wait list for the program is large and draining
the Vocational Rehabilitation budget because those on the wait list have
open cases with VRBS.  This program is funded entirely by State money, and
it is not part of VR funding.  The program is a safety net designed to cover
those who are ineligible for Medicaid employment services.  VR is intended
to cover short-term rehabilitation services, and federal rules prohibit VR
dollars to be spent on long-term supported employment.  If we get the cuts
restored, more Montanans will get long-term supported employment, and the
closure of their VRBS cases will permit VRBS to serve new clients.

The second NFB-MT request is for DPHHS to emphasize competitive integrated
employment.  We believe that all Montanans with disabilities should be able
to work in their communities for comparable wages and advancement
opportunities.  Competitive integrated employment frees workers with
disabilities from isolation, segregation, and sub-minimum wages.  DPHS has
many employment programs through its Medicaid and VR services.  DPHHS should
phase out segregated sub-minium wage employment and replace it with
competitive integrated employment.

If you have any other suggestions for NFB-MT recommendations on how DPHHS
should restore its cuts, please contact me.  You can reply to this e-mail,
e-mail me privately, or give me a call.  My contact information is below.
Of course, any individuals can submit recommendations independently.  Thanks
so much!

Jim Marks

Blind.grizzly at gmail.com <mailto:Blind.grizzly at gmail.com>