[NFBMT] Sub-Minimum Wage Employers Pushing Back

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:33:59 UTC 2018

Dar, I think you make an important point.  The sub-minimum wage proponents
focus on intellectual and developmental disabilities, but we know that many
blind people are forced into sub-minimum and segregated jobs.  The
sub-minimum wage proponents are not being honest about their real
motivation.  For them, it's the economics that matter.  Sub-minimum wage
employers count on the reduced wages to increase the fiscal viability of
their programs.  What's never said except by disability rights advocates is
that those programs are outdated, steeped in low expectations, and often
downright abusive to people with disabilities.  What's amazing to me is that
the concepts are not hard to understand.  Segregation is bad, and
integration is good.  It's really that simple.  The sub-minimum wage
proponents would love to cut the blind out of the mix because they fear how
well the blind advocate for ourselves and for others.  Now, it is sad to see
so much change and how that change can cause disruptions.  However, our
country and state will never get better if we continue shuffling people with
disabilities into the margins of life.  No, what is in the best interests of
everyone is applying high expectations and the kind of supports that make it
possible for people with disabilities to work in their communities for
comparable wages and advancement opportunities.  It's high time we treat
people with disabilities with respect and stop defending practices that are
demonstrably harmful for those who are supposed to benefit from sub-minimum
wages.  This fight is the fight of a generation.  I hope we get to pass
along a better world to those who come behind us.

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com