[NFBMT] Current Delta Policy for service and support animals

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 08:33:43 UTC 2018

Service and Support Animals

When flying on Delta, we welcome service and support animals in the aircraft
cabin. When traveling with a service or support animal, we're here to work
with you to make sure your travel day runs smoothly.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TRAINED SERVICE ANIMALS AND EMOTIONAL
SUPPORT/PSYCHIATRIC SERVICE ANIMALS

We know that both types of animals provide invaluable services and we welcome
both on our flights. To travel with an emotional support or psychiatric
service animal, passengers must upload the required documentation at least 48
hours before a flight. For questions, call

404-209-3434.

Advanced notice is encouraged but not required for customers travelling with
trained service animals.

TRAINED SERVICE ANIMAL

Trained service animals receive training to assist those who are blind or
have low vision, deafness or hard of hearing, diabetes, seizures, mobility
limitations or other needs.

If you are traveling with a trained service animal, in some cases you may be
asked to show:

1. The animal's Veterinary Health Form and/or an immunization record or other
proof that the animal's vaccinations are current within one year of the
travel date

2. While not required, customers are encouraged to upload this documentation
to My Trips through the Accessibility Service Request Form

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT AND PSYCHIATRIC SERVICE ANIMALS

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals assist those with
emotional, psychiatric, cognitive or psychological disabilities.

To travel with an emotional support animal, passengers must:

1. Download and fill out the required Emotional Support or Psychiatric
Service Animal PDF.  You may submit a copy of vaccination records in lieu of
the Veterinary Health Form as long as the vaccination dates and veterinary
office information are included.

2. Upload it to My Trips through the Accessibility Service Request Form

3. Keep completed paperwork with you while traveling

Any animal other than a dog or cat will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Service and support animals must remain with the passenger at all times.
Unaccompanied animals are not permitted in the cabin.

Flying with a Trained Service or Emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animal

On a Delta flight, service and support animals are expected to be seated in
the floor space below a passenger's seat, or seated in a passenger's lap.
Service and support animals and their associated items travel for free. The
size of the animal must not exceed the "footprint" of the passenger's seat.

. Associated items include a kennel, blanket, toy, food or similar item

Passengers traveling with emotional support or psychiatric service animals
must complete the required paperwork.  Customers traveling with a trained
service animal are encouraged to submit vaccination records prior to travel.

NOTE: If you encounter any issues with your service animal while at the
airport or on board, please ask to speak to a Complaint Resolution Official
(CRO).  These trained Delta representatives are ready to assist passengers
with accessibility needs and protect your rights when you travel by air.

Required Service or Support Animal Documentation

For the safety and health of everyone, we require documentation when
passengers  travel with a psychiatric service or a support animal in an
aircraft cabin.

To submit documentation, please download the PDF and upload it through the
Accessibility Service Request form located in My Trips.

TRAINED SERVICE ANIMALS

Customers are encouraged to submit the Trained Service Animal documentation
at least 48 hours before a flight.  Download the form and upload through the
Accessibility Service Request form located in My Trips.

 You may submit a copy of vaccination records in lieu of the Veterinary
Health Form as long as the vaccination dates and veterinary office
information are included.  For assistance with this form, please call our
accessibility assistance line at 404-209-3434.

 In some cases, customers may be asked to show the animal's Veterinary Health
Form and/or an immunization record or other proof of vaccination (current
within one year of the travel date).

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT & PSYCHIATRIC SERVICE ANIMALS

Submit the Emotional Support and Psychiatric Service Animal documentation at
least 48 hours before a flight. Currently, we require documentation that is
no more than a year old (prior to the first flight in the itinerary) from a
certified mental health professional indicating need for an emotional support

animal, certification of the animal's health including rabies and DPT shot
verification, and a signed Confirmation of Training form.  You may submit a
copy of vaccination records in lieu of the Veterinary Health Form as long as
the vaccination dates and veterinary office information are included.
Documentation

can be provided with a digital copy, and a professional license number is
recommended, but not required. Download the required documentation and upload
it through the Accessibility Service Request Form located in My Trips.

Inappropriate Service or Support Animal Behavior

We know that service and support animals are highly-trained working animals.
We will only refuse transportation of the animal if it engages in disruptive
behavior such as:

. Growling

. Jumping on passengers

. Relieving themselves in the gate area or cabin

. Barking excessively, not in response to a handler's need or distress

. Eating off seatback tray tables

Service and Support Animal Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have a service or support animal in training?

Are there animal relief areas at all airports?

Can I enter Delta Sky Club with a service or support animal?

What if I have multiple service or support animals?

Where should my service or support animal sit?

What if my service or support animal is a member of the National Service
Animal Registry (NSAR)?

Are there any travel advisories for service or support animals in the United
States?

Are there any travel advisories for service or support animals traveling
internationally?