[NFBMT] Chromebook

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:26:46 UTC 2018

Hi All,

Thought I would share that I am about to give a Chromebook a go.  I ordered
one, and it should be here this week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

A Chromebook is a small laptop computer that uses a new operating system
called Chrome OS.  It comes with its own built-in screen reader, which is
called Chrome Vox.  Chromebooks work best when connected online.  They use
the G Suite and other Google resources, including the Google Playstore.  One
can download Android apps to the device.  It is possible to use the device
offline as it will let you access G Suite and other software offline and
then synch files when you reconnect online.  Otherwise, it looks and
functions like a small laptop.  Mine will cost a mere $180.  It has a solid
state drive with very small onboard storage because Chromebooks rely on
applications like Google Drive to store files.  It works entirely with a
keyboard, but one can spend more money and include a touch screen feature
also.  Chromebooks boot almost instantly, and it updates automatically so
you're always getting the most modern functionality.  Lastly, one can
connect a refreshable Braille device to the Chromebook.  With refreshable
Braille becoming more and more affordable, it could be a solid solution to
portable computing needs.  Chromebooks have been around for a while, so they
are reliable and easy to use.

I've been very frustrated by the high costs of the various note taker and
specialized devices out there these days.  A Chromebook battery will last 10
hours between charges, and it's small enough to carry anywhere.  Given the
choice between spending around $200 or thousands of dollars, I'd rather go
inexpensive.  I also got the device because I'm working as a reviewer of IT
accessibility as a private contractor, and there are just too many key
conflicts between Windows 10 and G Suite.  G Suite is the package of
software for word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, etc.  G
Suite is an alternative and competitor to MS Office products like Word and
Excel.  A Chromebook can operate MS Office 365 in its online format.

If you're interested in checking Chromebooks out, I suggest searching for
them on the web.  You can also read more about Chrome Vox, the Chrome OS
screen reader, here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromevox/kgejglhpjiefppelpmljglcj
bhoiplfn?hl=en

Jim Marks