[NFBMT] FW: Letter of Support for White Cane Awareness Day

BRESLAUERS breslauerj at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 04:17:54 UTC 2018

For those of you who cannot open this attachment, I will paste it below along with the email exchange which brought this about.  Thanks.  Joy

White Cane Awareness Day - Esign Final (002).pdf

Steve Bullock Mike Cooney

GOVERNOR LT.GOVERNOR

STATE CAPITOL • P.O. BOX 200801 • HELENA, MONTANA 59620-0801

TELEPHONE: 406-444-3111 • FAX: 406-444-5529 • WEBSITE:

WWW.MT.GOV

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

STATE OF MONTANA

October 15, 2018

Dear Friends:

Please join me in supporting the 54th annual “White Cane Awareness Day” on October 15, 2018 in

Montana.

The white cane demonstrates and symbolizes the ability to achieve a full and independent life and the

capacity to work productively in competitive employment.

More than just a symbol, the white cane allows every blind person to move freely and safely from

place to place. It makes it possible for the blind to fully participate in and contribute to our

communities. And, it gives them the ability to live the lives they want.

While the white cane keeps blind people safe, by allowing drivers and other pedestrians to easily see it,

it also helps a blind person explore and navigate their environment. For this reason, the emphasis of

White Cane Safety Day has shifted over time away from safety, and toward independence and

equality. We Montanans recognize the white cane as a tool of independence for our neighbors across

this state.

I encourage all Montanans to recognize October 15, 2018 as “White Cane Awareness Day”.

Sincerely,

STEVE BULLOCK

Governor