[NFBMT] why am I a part of the organized blind movement?

Sheila sheila.leigland at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 20:49:15 UTC 2018

Not to long ago, I was asked why I am a member of the Nfb. Here is the
answer that I gave.

I am a member of the national federation of the blind for several important
reasons. Because of the work of the nfb, I as a blind American have the
right to learn braille in our public schools.I also can take a guide dog in
to any place that is commonly open to the general public including all forms
of public transportation, stores,restauraunts, medical offices, and hotels.
Blind people walked the streets of this country working to help win these
rights so that we can truly reach our potential as citizens of this great
country.

People at times had to hold protests, as at times have gone to court to have
judges emtervene ofon our behalf so that we could have fair representation
ofon behalf of our children as well as ourselves.

I also feel that I have a duty to march forward so that folks that made it
possible for me to succeed will not have worked in vain. I owe it to future
generations of blind people, to do by part in helping to provide
opportunities for them to work, vote, attend church and be full participants
in worship, as well as making as many forms of communication accessible so
that we all can do and be who we were meant to be by our creator and to live
lives filled with expectation and hope.