[NFBMT] Meet the Blind Month and White Cane Awareness Day: Teach the World About What the White Cane Means to Blind People

breslauerj at gmail.com breslauerj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 11:51:21 UTC 2018

Dear State Presidents and Federation Colleagues:

This email provides information and resources for you as we prepare to celebrate Meet the Blind Month and White Cane Awareness Day <https://nfb.org/wcad>  on Monday, October 15. Please feel free to share this information with chapter presidents or others in your affiliate who are responsible for communications. This year we will be highlighting the tenth anniversary of our free white cane program <https://nfb.org/free-cane-program> . Since this program began in 2008, we have distributed over 64,000 free white canes! October 15 is a great opportunity to share how the white cane makes it possible to be an active and independent blind person and break down misconceptions about blindness.

As we did last year, we are using the excitement around this day to raise funds to support our programs. Please help amplify our message via social media by using the #WhiteCaneGiving hashtag and directing people to nfb.org/donate2018 <file:///C:/Users/mkroeger/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.Outlook/7NWQ51KH/nfb.org/donate2018> .

You can join the nationwide celebration by engaging your own community and sharing how the white cane leads to independence. Here are some things you can do:

*	Post the following language on your affiliate’s website with a link to the giving page <http://www.nfb.org/donate2018> :

White canes help blind people live the lives we want. The white cane does more than tell the sighted that we are blind; it is a tool for freedom and self-determination because it allows blind people to come and go on our own. Since we can travel safely and independently, we can contribute in the workplace, in our communities, and in society.  <https://nfb.org/donate2018> Celebrate White Cane Awareness Day on October 15 by giving the gift of independence.

*	Ask your mayor or governor to sign a White Cane Awareness Day Proclamation <https://nfb.org/white-cane-awareness-day/proclamation> .
*	Demonstrate how you use your cane at a community meeting, senior event, or school show-and-tell. Remember, it’s Meet the Blind Month <https://nfb.org/meet-blind-month>  too, so incorporate information about the white cane and the independence it brings blind people into your Meet the Blind Month activities. We have new Braille alphabet cards that are perfect for handing out at these events.
*	Tweet what your white cane means to you with the hashtag #WhiteCaneGiving or use some of the sample tweets below:

*	For ten years, @NFB_voice has been sending free white canes to those who need them. A $50 gift could give independence to a blind person nfb.org/donate2018 <http://www.nfb.org/donate2018>  #WhiteCaneGiving
*	At the end of the day, keep your head held high, and your cane tip low! #WhiteCaneGiving
*	Blind kids call the white cane “fingers that reach the ground.” Give the gift of independence. nfb.org/donate2018 <http://www.nfb.org/donate2018>  #WhiteCaneGiving

*	Post on Facebook about what your white cane means to you, or use the sample post below:

*	"I used to think a cane signified dependency. I now know traveling confidently with my cane allows me to be independent & live the life I want." Donate today and help other blind people discover the freedom of independent travel. nfb.org/donate2018 <http://www.nfb.org/donate2018>

Useful links

*	Donation page: nfb.org/donate2018 <http://www.nfb.org/donate2018>
*	White Cane Awareness Day page: nfb.org/wcad <http://www.nfb.org/wcad>

We are also looking for examples of how people are using their canes to live the life they want. Share a fun, engaging, or powerful story, accompanied by a photo or video, about you and your white cane by sending it to kanderson at nfb.org <mailto:kanderson at nfb.org>  and you could be eligible to win prizes!

If you have events you’d like to share on nfb.org, please email them to kanderson at nfb.org <mailto:kanderson at nfb.org> .

Have a great weekend!

Warmly,

Kirsten

Kirsten Mau

Director of Marketing and Communications

(410) 659-9314, extension 2244 | KMau at nfb.org <mailto:KMau at nfb.org>