[NFBMT] HB 439 Criminalizing Misrepresentation of Service Animals

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Wed Apr 10 20:24:41 UTC 2019

FYI, below is an e-mail I just sent to Senator DEnley Loge, the legislative
sponsor of HB 439, the bill that would criminalize the misrepresentation of
service animals.  There was a public hearing today before the Senate
Judiciary Committee, and the Committee will soon take executive action on HB
439, perhaps as soon as tomorrow morning.  If you would also like to
comment, please do.  Follow the links to message legislators or committees
at leg.mt.gov.

BTW, at today's hearing, most proponents for the bill were not service
animal users.  The majority were trainers of service animals.  Two service
animal users spoke in favor of the bill, but one of these is also a
professional dog trainer.  We often get frustrated with others speaking for
us and not listening to our concerns.  Another observation is that no one
who advocated for HB 439 spoke in favor of our failed bill to protect
service animals from injury or death.  Call me a goofy old country boy, but
it looks to me like the purpose of HB 439 is to benefit businesses over
people with disabilities, and it would be a shame to stay silent while this
travesty carries on.  So, if you have not already, please let our
legislators know what you think.

Jim Marks
President, National Federation of the Blind of Montana
president at nfbofmt.org