[NFBMT] a world to dream about or to rant about- free of the graphic rabbit hunt

BRESLAUERS breslauerj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 13:47:37 UTC 2019

I absolutely commiserate with you.  But time marches on.  I do know people
who just don't use technology, especially computer technology.  A flip phone
is as far as they will go, and that not without kicking and screaming.

I don't know if your cell phone has speech capability, but if it does, it
might be worth turning on and learning how to use it.

Other touch screens are more tricky.  There is computer software out there
for those with low vision, but there does come a point when low vision isn't
very helpful and some other more reliable means needs to be found.  I know
there is a combination software that uses low vision access as well as JAWS
access, so you can use whichever one works best in the situation in which you
find yourself.  The thing that I think is frustrating is if you have to use
some sort of program that doesn't have a text or a speech workaround.  I
understand why the DOS days are gone, but I really enjoyed them.  Windows is
much more flexible and customizable, and of course they have to make a living
so they have to change it up every few months to come up with a newer and
more improved version.  Sometimes that works, most times it doesn't.  I
vaguely remember a joke about Microsoft that if it were a car, every time
they came up with an update, instead of improving the car, they "improve" the
road.

They say that you can use AIRA in some situations to read what is on your
computer screen when it won't talk or when it freezes up.  The first five
minutes of every call is free.  So you can call 25 times a day if you want
to, and as long as your call is under five minutes, it is free.  Maybe that
would be helpful in situations where the computer freezes up or won't talk.
Another workaround for that might be KNFB Reader.  I myself haven't figured
out how to use it very successfully, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Another trick is to turn on Narrator or NVDA when JAWS freezes up.  If all
else fails, seek sighted assistance, which isn't always available.  Or cuss
and punch holes in the wall and turn the computer off and back on, which is a
last resort, and hope it talks then.  And then you either have to fix the
holes in the walls or find somebody else who can.  And pay them.  Ugh, for
the good old days.  Are they like any other good old days, better in memory
than in reality?  Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away.  Joy