[NFBMT] Possible interesting fundraiser

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 22:23:36 UTC 2019

Like any of these "what is it like to be blind" ideas, where you put on
blindness for an hour or a day and see how you function, or you are put in a
situation where you have to eat or watch kids or do something you have never
done before as a blind person, (remember the "as I see it" campaign?), I
think they leave a negative impression of what it is like to be blind in the
mind of the participant.  Blindness is not just the lack of sight.

Resolution 2012-04
Regarding Dining in the Dark

WHEREAS, the real problem of blindness is not the loss of eyesight but the
widespread public misconception that the blind are not equal to the sighted
in society; and

WHEREAS, the National Federation of the Blind categorically rejects the myth
that the blind are not equal to the sighted; and

WHEREAS, programs of the National Federation of the Blind teach and promote a
positive understanding of blindness, that the blind are normal and equal
members of society, and that blindness does not mean inferiority; and

WHEREAS, an activity known as "Dining in the Dark" is being promoted and used
to raise funds by having sighted people experience blindness by eating in the
dark; and

WHEREAS, an article published in Time magazine entitled "Dining in the Dark"
assures would-be diners that the cook "works in a well-lit kitchen"; and

WHEREAS, the Dining in the Dark website--www.dininginthedark.org--states:
"you will pick from a specially prepared menu (designed by a sighted local
'star' chef)" and "In darkness everyone becomes equal. Our opinions can't be
molded by dress, mannerisms, or makeup as none of it can be seen. You learn
that without sight your other senses become more acute"; and

WHEREAS, these statements lay bare the underlying philosophy of Dining in the
Dark, that sight means superior ability, and that, when sight is removed in
the dark, the blind and the sighted are equal: Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind in Convention
assembled this fourth day of July, 2012, in the city of Dallas, Texas, that
this organization condemn and deplore the use of Dining in the Dark in a
manner that diminishes the innate normality and equal status of the blind in
society; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this organization pursue an active policy of
opposition to Dining in the Dark activities and events, including use of
media and public protests, whenever and wherever such activities and events
exploit blindness and blind people based on a demeaning philosophy.

Here are three recent articles from The 2017 Braille Monitor, including an
article by President Mark Riccobono.  I hope these links work.  The first one
should bring up the article, the second one should bring up the audio.  Joy

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1704/bm170402.htm>
Walking a Mile: The Possibilities and Pitfalls of Simulation

Listen Now (MP3)
<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/braille_monitor/2017/april/04_walking_a
_mile.mp3>
by Mark Riccobono

Disability Simulations:
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1706/bm170602.htm>  What
Does the Research Say?

<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/braille_monitor/2017/june/04_disability
_simulations_what_does_the_research_say.mp3> Listen Now (MP3)
by Arielle Silverman

The Perils of Playing Blind: Problems with Blindness Simulation and a Better
Way to Teach about Blindness
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1706/bm170603.htm>

<https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/audio/braille_monitor/2017/june/05_the_perils
_of_playing_blind_problems_with_blindness_simulation.mp3> Listen Now (MP3)
by Arielle Michal Silverman