[NFBMT] Action Requested: Service Animal Bill

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Fri Feb 8 21:47:25 UTC 2019

Dear Fellow NFB-MT listers,

We are working on a bill in the Montana Legislature that would add to
Montana law protections for guide dogs and other service animals resulting
from intentional or negligent harm or death to the animal.  There is a good
chance that a sponsor will introduce our bill soon.  Therefore, we need to
prepare testimony in support of the bill.

If you have ever experienced an attack on your guide dog, would you be
willing to testify about the incident?  Attacks commonly happen when a loose
dog confronts our guides, but it can include an attack by a human being.
Also, if you want to advocate for the protections, please let Public
Policies Chair Joy Breslauer or me know.  Time is very short because the
deadline for transmitting bills from the House to the Senate or vice versa
is happening soon.  After that deadline, no new bills can be introduced in
either chamber.  The NFB-MT Board of Directors authorized the reimbursement
of travel expenses for legislative testimony at our last Board meeting.  If
Joy or I authorize reimbursement, you will have transportation, housing, and
per diem costs covered.

Thank you very much for getting back to Joy or me quickly!

Jim Marks
President, National Federation of the Blind of Montana
president at nfbofmt.org