[NFBMT] Montana Legislative Update

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:01:25 UTC 2019

I have some exciting news.  When things take off, they move fast.

We have action on three concerns put forth by resolutions at our 2018
Treasure State Convention in September.  There are or will be bills before
the 2019 Montana Legislature concerning accessible voting for voters with
disabilities, establishing penalties for the malicious or negligent injury or
death of service animals, and developing a state plan to phase in competitive
integrated employment for workers with disabilities.  Be ready to send in
your testimony regarding any or all of these, or, better yet, testify in
person in Helena.

1.	LC2764 is a bill which is currently in the drafting process.  The
intent of the bill is to Establish penalties for malicious or negligent
injury or death of service animals.  There are several other bills before the
legislature which will seek to define and clarify what is and is not a
service animal.  This looks promising.  Once this is introduced, we will need
to testify, possibly on short notice, and I will keep you informed as to its
progress so that we can organize something quickly, if necessary.  I plan to
go up there myself, but if any other guide or service dog handlers have had
issues with malicious or negligent injury to or death of a guide or service
animal, I urge you to testify and tell your story.  More information will be
forthcoming.

2.      HB 468 is a bill that calls on the State Workforce Innovation Board
to develop a state plan to phase in competitive integrated employment for
workers with disabilities.  Rep.  Jade Bahr (D)- HD50) of Billings
Jade.Bahr at mtleg.gov <mailto:Jade.Bahr at mtleg.gov>  is the sponsor.  You can
read the current bill text here

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0210W$BSIV.ActionQuery?P_BILL_NO1=468&P_BLT

P_BILL_TYP_CD=HB&Z_ACTION=Find&P_SESS=20191

It had its first reading on February 13 before the House business and Labor
Committee to which it was referred, and it was not tabled.

Audio <javascript:explain_link_new()>

HB 468 Short Title: Involve certain state agencies in disability integrated
employment programs

Primary Sponsor: Jade Bahr  (D) HD 50  Jade.Bahr at mtleg.gov

Bill Actions -  Current Bill Progress: In First House Committee--Nontabled

House Committee: Business and Labor meets in room 172.

House Business and Labor Committee Chair: Mark Noland  (R) HD 10 of Big Fork
marknolandhd10 at gmail.com

We should be ready to testify in person at the hearing on this one, or to
send in our testimonies at the very least, and to let legislators know we
support it.

3 HJ 3 Short Title: Interim study resolution on accessibility for disabled
electors

INTRODUCED BY Rep. Forrest MANDEVILLE (R) HD57) of Columbus,
Forrest.Mandeville at mtleg.gov

Bill Actions -  Current Bill Progress: In Second House Committee--Nontabled

This bill had a hearing before the Senate Administration Committee on
February 11, 2019.

Audio <javascript:explain_link_new()>

If you would like to leave a message for a legislator, you can call
406-444-4800 and operators will take a message that will be forwarded to
legislators. Please be aware that they will ask for your name and address,
which will not be shared other than with the legislator. The operators can
take a message for up to 5 legislators at one time or to an entire committee.

Joy Breslauer, First Vice President and Public Policies Committee Chair