[NFBMT] Service Animal Protection Bill Tabled

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 18:52:43 UTC 2019

Well, here's so-called legislative leadership for you.  The Montana
Legislature trips all over itself to criminalize the use of fake service
animals, but it will not grant protections for legitimate service animals.
This morning, the Montana House Judiciary Committee tabled HB 659, a bill
that would provide protections for service animals.  The 10-9 vote to kill
the bill occurred a few minutes after the Committee conducted a public
hearing on HB 659.  Several people with disabilities, including multiple
members of the National Federation of the Blind of Montana, testified in
favor of the protections.  No one opposed our bill.  There is no recourse
when others deliberately or negligently harm or kill our service animals.
Mostly, the problem concerns loose aggressive dogs who are not properly
supervised, but plenty of instances exist in which others intentionally
hurt, harass, and steal our service animals.  The Judiciary Committee sent
its message loud and clear.  The Committee clearly thinks that the rights of
shop owners are more important than those of people with disabilities.  The
fake service animal thing is a red herring that will likely be used to make
it more difficult for legitimate service animal users to make our way in
this world.  Not to worry, though.  We will be back, and we will not rest
until our Legislature does the right thing.  We are both angry and patient,
and that often proves to be an effective frame of mind to accomplish basic
human rights.  So, it's on to the next session, eh?

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com