[NFBMT] Convention question

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Wed Oct 23 17:06:30 UTC 2019

Yes, Montana requires paper ballots.  The new voting machines that will be
deployed in a couple of years issue a non-standard paper ballot.  The
non-standard ballot is smaller than the standard ballots, so it's the size
that makes them different, including different formatting to include all the
same stuff that goes on the standard ballot.  Montana adopted a new state
law in the 2019 Legislative Session that allows non-standard ballots.  The
new counting machines that will be deployed in a couple years scan both the
standard and non-standard ballots into its system, and all the paper ballots
are kept as a backup to the electronic counting system.

The non-standard ballots create a threat to voter privacy, but ballot
secrecy can be assured if many voters use the new voting machines in a
couple of years.  We do not want the new voting machines to be used only by
voters with disabilities.  If many voters use the new machines, it will no
longer be easy to tell who cast the ballot.  I like to think of it as
integration and taking the "special" out of voting by people with
disabilities.  In many states, all voters can use voting machines, and many
do.  What's really cool is that any voting machine must be accessible to and
usable by blind and other voters with disabilities according to the Help
America Vote Act, which the United States adopted in 2004.  True first class
citizenship occurs in the mainstream and not through segregated approaches
for voters with disabilities.

Jim Marks
President
president at nfbofmt.org