[NFBMT] Deaf-Blind woman is on a book tour, has been on C-SPAN and has a Q and A with Bookshare

Rik James rixmix2009 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 20:07:44 UTC 2019

This lady, named Haben Girma, was interviewed on C-SPAN last weekend.
You can find it to listen to or watch, on the C-SPAN website, if you missed
it.
www.c-span.org

It was a fascinating and interesting bit of TV.
Not too often do we find guests and authors with things to say about what we
often will talk about and advocate for in the NFB.

I also found her book among recently added books to Bookshare , and I plan
to read it soon.

Meanwhile, with a Treasure State chapter meeting coming up, Thursday,
September 12 at 6 pm, I wanted to mention about this to you.
Perhaps a good discussion could be had, should some of our members be able
to check out her interviews and her book.

I also just received an email from Bookshare alerting me that she has done a
Q&A with them, too.
Great minds think alike, eh?

Haben: Deafblind Woman who Conquered Harvard Law
That is the book title.

>From the email:

"Haben Girma, longtime Bookshare user, uses her personal journey and
expertise to advocate for equal opportunities and inclusion for people with
disabilities. In this Q&A, Haben shares her insights on being deafblind,
employment discrimination, the power of disability pride, and technological
innovations that foster inclusion."

Read the Q&A with Ms. Girma at this link below:

https://benetech.org/expert-insights-spotlight-haben-girma/

Thanks for listening, and being involved with all things, great and small,
and with the National Federation of the Blind, and National Federation of
the Blind of Montana.

Rik James, President
Treasure State At-Large Chapter
The National Federation of the Blind