[NFBMT] Stepping On Classes Medicare, Etc.

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Fri Sep 20 02:12:06 UTC 2019

During the Thursday September 12 meeting of the Treasure State Chapter of
the National Federation of the Blind of Montana, a member reported on a
class she took that she found extremely beneficial.  Others may want to take
the class, which is called, "Stepping On."  It's an evidence-based class on
preventing falls for older Montanans and people with disabilities.  Besides
Stepping On, there are other classes and services that may be of interest.
For example, the open enrollment period for changing Medicare plans starts
October 15, 2019.  One can meet with a counselor to learn about the various
options Medicare beneficiaries receive.  Both the classes and services are
provided by Montana's Area Agencies on Aging.  Montana has 10 of these
Agencies, so there should be one near where you live.    Here is how to
learn more:

. Call the toll free telephone number, (800) 551-3191.  This number can
route you to the Area Agency on Aging that's nearest you, although it
doesn't work well with mobile telephones.  Still, whoever answers will make
sure you get connected with the Agency that serves the area where you live.

. The following website provides contact and other information for Area
Agencies on Aging:

https://dphhs.mt.gov/sltc/aging/areaagenciesonaging

As I mentioned during the Chapter meeting, I happen to be working as the
Program Director of Area IV Agency on Aging, which is based in Helena.  Area
IV covers six counties:  Lewis and Clark, Broadwater, Jefferson, Meagher,
Gallatin, and Park counties.  Area IV does a bunch of stuff all related to
aging and disability resources.  For example, we provide the classes
mentioned above as well as Medicare services, including the Senior Medicare
Patrol, which is a program to prevent Medicare abuse and fraud.  We also
provide two Long Term Care Ombudsman who work within the statewide Ombudsman
system to advocate for residents of nursing homes and assistive living
centers.  We often provide information and referral services for Medicaid,
but we primarily serve as the local expert support services for Medicare.
Additionally, we provide funding for Senior Centers in the area we serve.
One of our major projects is funding meals on wheels and group meals.  Our
funding comes mostly from the Senior and Long Term Care Division of the
Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services.  Area IV is a
program of the Rocky Mountain Development Council in Helena.

BTW, Area IV plans to begin a new Stepping On class in Helena on October 2.
Call Area IV now at the 800 number given above to sign up for the class.
Note that students must be 60 or older, or have a disability.

Best!

Jim Marks

JimMarks

President, National Federation of the Blind of Montana

 <mailto:president at nfbofmt.org> president at nfbofmt.org