[NFBMT] 2021 Legislature

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Tue Aug 4 21:13:36 UTC 2020

I got the following information from a Montana lobbyist who advocates for
older Montanans.  We certainly live in interesting times.

She said:  The Legislative Council will host a meeting via a subcommittee to
plan for the upcoming 2021 Legislative Session on Monday, August 10th.  The
webpage provides documents for review by the public and an additional
16-page planning outline that hasn't been public should be coming available
later this week.  Legislators are considering alternatives to the
traditional legislative session to include remote participation - for the
public, lobbyists, and lawmakers.  They are also considering limitations on
lobbying, alternative sites for meetings, and severe limitations on how many
bills a legislator can introduce or carry.  At the most extreme end, we'll
be looking at a remote session that is intended to simply pass a budget and
not address policy issues.

What does this mean?  It's too early to tell, but the NFB-MT may not be able
to push for policy legislation such as criminalizing harm or death of a
service animal or a rights protection for parents with disabilities.  We
might still be able to advocate for funding for NFB Newsline and for Blind
and Low Vision Services and the Montana Talking Books Library.

Best!

Jim Marks
President
president at nfbofmt.org
(406) 438-1421
www.nfbofmt.org

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.