[NFBMT] 2020 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Sun Jul 19 03:18:04 UTC 2020

#NFB20, the 2020 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind is in
the books.  This gathering touched me very deeply, and I am feeling very
emotional.  We, the organized blind of America, have come a long way, yet we
have much more to do.  Being blind brings with it indescribable frustrations
and joy, and together, we not only do for ourselves, but we also make the
world better off than we have found it.  Those who came before us gifted us
with a foundation that makes it possible to realize and act on the notion
that blindness does not define us, especially when so many hold low
expectations for us.  I feel emotional because, this week, I felt the power
of the Federation to hold high expectations for ourselves.  No matter where
each of us is on our journeys, we are reframing blindness as it should be,
as a characteristic shared with dignity and unlimited possibilities.  We are
the organized blind.  We are making a difference.  Thank you for getting
involved and making the NFB of Montana and our larger outfit the amazing and
powerful group we are.

BTW, if you want to lend a hand in changing what it means to be blind and in
living the lives we want, give me a shout.  We have a lot of work to do, and
we sure can use your ample talents and time in our movement.

All my best!

Jim Marks
President, National Federation of the Blind of Montana
president at nfbofmt.org