[NFBMT] Upcoming Events You Should Not Miss

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 20:21:28 UTC 2020

Happy Friday to all our Montana Federationists.

Please remember to register for our NFB National Convention, to be held
virtually for the first time ever! The dates are July 14 through July 18.
This could be our biggest convention in history.  Registration is free, and
will close June 15.  Either go to www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>  or access
the registration link below.

 <https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>
/get-involved/national-convention

The NFB Bell Academy (Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning) is also
being held virtually, due to the Corona pandemic.  It is being held in two
sessions, one of which is going on now as we speak.  Learn more below.

 <https://www.nfb.org/form/nfb-bell-academy-home-edition> NFB BELLR Academy
In-Home Edition Registration

NFB Newsline will be available in Montana through July 31.  We are currently
seeking funding to continue to receive NFB Newsline in the future.  In the
meantime, see below. <http://sgiz.mobi/s3/nfbnewsline>

 <http://sgiz.mobi/s3/nfbnewsline> We are calling on all blind Americans to
complete a brief ten-minute survey about their general media consumption and
use of NFB-NEWSLINER. All responses will remain anonymous. The survey will be
open through Wednesday, June 10, 2020.

 <http://sgiz.mobi/s3/nfbnewsline> Complete the Survey

Another thing to keep in mind is that we have a very important general
election coming up.  We just had a primary which was held by mail-in ballot,
due to the Coronavirus.  However, this may be the wave of the future, due to
reduced cost of holding an election.  We just went through a process of
testing a voting device that will take the place of the aging AutoMARK system
used in Montana.  Other states have been winning lawsuits regarding
accessible online voting.  These states will also need to include an
accessible process for those blind or otherwise disabled individuals who do
not have access to online voting.  Information about this is available on the
latest Presidential Release, 495, taped last night before a virtual live
audience.  You should make plans to attend these, as they are informative,
and a person can send in questions beforehand and they will be answered.
There will be no Presidential release in July because of the national
convention.  We should all be prepared to advocate for accessible voting in
Montana, online or otherwise.

So many good things are happening because of the advocacy work of the
National Federation of the Blind.  We are pursuing our dreams with love,
hope, and determination, in spite of the Coronavirus.  Our virtual meetings
and seminars may be one of the most powerful means yet of communicating with
each other, strengthening our organization, and recruiting new members.

Let's go build the Federation!

Joy Breslauer, First Vice President

Web Site: http://www.nfbofmt.org