[NFBMT] Billings Gazette article on Voting

Jim blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:45:06 UTC 2020

As a follow-up, Montana allows voters to go online and check to see whether
your ballot was accepted.  Mine was, and that's a good thing because I tried
the fairly new Electronic Ballot Request System (EBRS).  While EBRS was an
experiment for me as a blind voter, Montana considers the voting option
ready for prime time.  EBRS cannot be completed independently and privately
by a blind voter because it requires printing and managing printed
documents.  This means EBRS still requires a reader/scribe, and we need to
push for changes that would allow blind voters to use EBRS on our own
without the assistance of others.  This will take a change in state law, and
the National Federation of the Blind of Montana is dedicated to this
purpose.  The 2020 NFB of Montana Convention adopted a resolution on this
topic.

If you want to make sure your vote was accepted, go to the Secretary of
State's website.  On the home page, there is a link for this purpose.  It
requires filling out a form.  Here is the link to the website:

https://sosmt.gov/

If you have not yet voted, please do.

Jim Marks
blind.grizzly at gmail.com