[NFBMT] How to write a resolution

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 22:48:55 UTC 2021

This is interesting reading about NFB national resolutions from the Braille
Monitor                                               January 2014.  Joy

Resolutions and the Way Policies are Made in the National Federation of the
Blind

by Gary Wunder

In the August-September issue Sharon Maneki, the chairman of the Resolutions
Committee, wrote an article discussing the policy statements the convention
had adopted in July of 2013. Following that article are copies of each
resolution as passed. Not long after this issue reached Monitor readers, I
began receiving suggestions about how we should talk about the importance of
resolutions, how and why they should be drafted, and what happens to them
once they are passed. This is a tall order, but let's at least start to
answer these questions.

A resolution is divided into two parts.

In the first part a case is made that certain events have taken place that
require action. The events are described in short statements that begin with
the word WHEREAS, and they may speak to some wrong that must be righted or to
some good deed that should be acknowledged. These statements should clearly
set forth the reason a resolution is being written, without being so detailed
that they make the reader wish the resolution had never happened.

The second part of a resolution explains what will or should be done based on
the argument laid out in the first section. Resolves are used to say what the
NFB will do or what we will try to persuade others to do. Again this may be
to condemn and deplore actions we find objectionable or to applaud actions we
find meritorious. These, too, should be brief and to the point: long enough
that they are not ambiguous and concise enough that they avoid repeating what
has already been said. At the end of this article, when you've been convinced
how important resolutions are and that you may want to write one yourself,
we'll drop in a few guidelines prepared by Barbara Pierce, using her many
years of experience in editing the final version of our policy statements.

Who writes resolutions?

The simple answer is that resolutions are written by anyone who believes that
the National Federation of the Blind should take a position on something and
who wishes us to make this position public. Resolutions may come from members
of our Advocacy and Policy Department, from our national board of directors,
from divisions or committees of the Federation, or from members who feel
passionately enough about an issue to take up their device of choice and
write. Resolutions are submitted to the chairman of the Resolutions Committee
or to the president of the National Federation of the Blind at least two
weeks before the meeting of the Resolutions Committee. They are reviewed to
determine, as best we can, that they are factually and grammatically correct
and are then presented to the Resolutions Committee on what is sometimes
called Registration or Resolutions Day. If they are passed by the Resolutions
Committee, they are then considered on the afternoon of the second day of the
convention and, if approved, become official Federation policy.

Like every system devised by man, this one has its problems. People who do
not attend the meeting of the committee hear the resolutions for the first
time that afternoon and are then asked to vote in favor of or in opposition
to something they have had little time to consider. We have limited time for
questions and discussion, and sometimes the volume of resolutions has meant
we have had to read the resolve clause and have omitted the part of the
resolution explaining the need for it.

At the most recent meeting of the board of directors, a decision was made to
post resolutions passed by the committee on our website, clearly labeling
them as resolutions being considered by the convention. In this way those
with devices capable of reading information from the web can see what is
being proposed for consideration by the membership, can decide how they think
and feel about the resolutions, can get to the right people to ask their
questions, and can be in a better position to vote when the resolutions are
considered.

So what happens to resolutions once they are passed by the convention?

To start with, all of them appear on our website and are available to those
wanting to know if the Federation has a position on a given topic. They are
published in the August-September issue of the Braille Monitor, along with an
article explaining who introduced them and why they were introduced and
describing similar resolutions passed in the current or previous years. As
for implementation, some resolutions are sent to divisions of the Federation
for action and follow-up. Others are sent by the president or his designee to
the businesses and agencies they affect. Most are assigned to the director of
policy and advocacy for action.

Do the resolutions passed really make a difference?

The answer is most assuredly yes. Our resolution on quiet cars culminated in
legislation, and that legislation will someday soon be incorporated into
binding regulations that will make travel safer for the blind and all
pedestrians and cyclists. Our resolution about the continuing inaccessibility
of the Kindle resulted in a protest at the headquarters of Amazon in December
of 2012 and subsequent improvements in the software Amazon produces. Our
resolution on the payment of subminimum wages caused the introduction of H.R.
831 by Congressman Gregg Harper of Mississippi and the publicity we have