[NFBMT] Diversity and Inclusion

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 21:15:16 UTC 2021

Hello, Montana Federationists.

I received an email on March 8 concerning a zoom meeting regarding diversity
and inclusion in the NFB.  I was able to stay for part of the panel
discussion and the Q&A afterwards, and found it very interesting.  Gary
Wunder, editor of The Braille Monitor, gave a particularly insightful
challenge to submit articles for inclusion in the Braille Monitor.

There is a diversity and inclusion survey that I haven't seen anywhere else,
so I am posting it here for the benefit of anyone else who wants to take it.

>From yesterday's email: As a reminder, please take the
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20228&qid=4955399>
Diversity and Inclusion Survey by March 15. Your feedback about your
experience is important to the mission of the movement.

About Diversity and Inclusion

The National Federation of the Blind celebrates and embraces diversity and
full participation as core values in our mission to achieve equality,
opportunity, and security for the blind. We are committed to building and
maintaining a nationwide organization with state affiliates and local
chapters that is unified in its priorities and programs and is directed by
the membership.

*	Diversity focuses on the people in the organization and considers
their race, creed, color, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, citizenship, marital status, age, genetic
information, disability, or any other characteristic or intersectionality of
characteristics.
*	Inclusion focuses on the actual experiences members are having and
whether they feel included and are able to participate in all areas of the
organization.

If you have questions or concerns, please email
<https://www.nfb.org/libraries/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20230&qid=4955399>
diversity at nfb.org or call 410-659-9314, Extension 2413.

It might be worth examining our own hearts and interactions with others to
see if we have any hidden biases or if we are being unintentionally
unwelcoming or offensive to other groups of blind people.  Regarding each
other as human beings and treating each other with respect and dignity,
despite our differences, may be a place to start.  We are looking for new
members, and we may be able to benefit from inviting and including those
members who are not like us and from whom we can learn.

On another note, I found another survey on the NFB web site that I didn't
know about, which may interest some of you as well.

<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-
and-testing-survey> Access to COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Survey

<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-
and-testing-survey> Access to COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Survey

<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-
and-testing-survey>

<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-
and-testing-survey> Take the Vaccine and Testing Survey

Joy Breslauer, First Vice President