[NFBMT] Newsline

president at nfbofmt.org president at nfbofmt.org
Wed Aug 30 02:55:47 UTC 2023

Thank you for your opinion, Travis.  We, the NFB of Montana,  are a big tent, and every person is welcome and all opinions are considered through the governance of our organization.

When you say NFB Newsline is old school, you mean for yourself, correct?  I ask this because nearly 500 Montanans use NFB Newsline these days.  They use all kinds of technology, too.  For example, NFB Newsline works with the telephone, an iPhone app, Amazon smart speakers, and many blindness devices such as the Victor Stream.  Many, like me, regard NFB Newsline to be a substantial part of our news and information consumption.  I also like to use my Android phone, and I keep up with two really good online only newspapers called the Daily Montanan and the Montana Free Press.  I'm also a major National and Montana Public Radio junky.   I enjoy a bunch of pod casts as well.  Some information, such as the public emergency system, is accessible to people with print disabilities only through NFB Newsline.  For example, during the pandemic, NFB Newsline was the only place I, as a blind person  who cannot read standard print,  could find and read about COVID's progression.  I run into plenty of barriers and pay walls when reading most newspapers online.  The algorithms on smart phones mislead us far more than they inform us.  And one must wade through enormous loads of crap on social media.  Reading news and information on NFB Newsline is like taking a deep breath of clear Montana air.  While NFB Newsline is not perfect, we keep making it better.  Reading with NFB Newsline certainly provides an accessible and usable way to get news and information.  For me, it's a tool in the toolbox.  If NFB Newsline were to go away, it would leave a big hole in that toolbox.

I'd like to hear more about why you would relegate NFB Newsline to the history books.  What tools do you use, and why are they superior to NFB  Newsline?

Best!

Jim Marks
President
president at nfbofmt.org
(406) 438-1421
www.nfbofmt.org

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.