[NFBMV] {Spam?} BRAILLE MONITOR

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 12:50:46 UTC 2016

                               BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 59, No. 4   April 2016

                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash

drive, with the audio version being available in both Spanish and English

(see reverse side) by the

      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314

      email address: nfb at nfb.org

      website address: http://www.nfb.org

      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org

      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300

       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and

orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles

for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national

office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org.

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.

Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the

subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation

of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind

      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE

   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE

   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES

    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;

BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR

                                 OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

) 2016 by the National Federation of the Blind

      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick

or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a

National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the

familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and

a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This

smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad

covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one

position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.

(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,

the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is

inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital

materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,

when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.

      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to

your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb

drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in

order to stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with

the drive when you return the device.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Palm-lined drive leading to front entrance to Rosen Shingle

Creek Resort]

                     Orlando Site of 2016 NFB Convention

      The 2016 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take

place in Orlando, Florida, June 30 to July 5, at the Rosen Shingle Creek

Resort, 9939 Universal Boulevard, Orlando, Florida 32819-9357. Make your

room reservation as soon as possible with the Shingle Creek staff only.

Call (866) 996-6338.

      The 2016 room rates are singles and doubles, $83; and for triples and

quads $89. In addition to the room rates there will be a tax, which at

present is 13.5 percent. No charge will be made for children under

seventeen in the room with parents as long as no extra bed is requested.

The hotel is accepting reservations now. A $95-per-room deposit is required

to make a reservation. Fifty percent of the deposit will be refunded if

notice is given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation before May 27,

2016. The other 50 percent is not refundable.

      Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Reservations may be made before May 27, 2016, assuming that rooms are still

available. After that time the hotel will not hold our room block for the

convention. In other words, you should get your reservation in soon.

      All Rosen Shingle Creek guestrooms feature amenities that include

plush Creek Sleeper beds, 40" flat screen TVs, complimentary high-speed

internet capabilities, in-room safes, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and hair

dryers. Guests can also enjoy a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-site

spa. The Rosen Shingle Creek Resort has a number of dining options,

including two award-winning restaurants, and twenty-four-hour-a-day room

service.

      The schedule for the 2016 convention is:

Thursday, June 30      Seminar Day

Friday, July 1   Registration Day

Saturday, July 2 Board Meeting and Division Day

Sunday, July 3   Opening Session

Monday, July 4   Business Session

Tuesday, July 5  Banquet Day and Adjournment

Vol. 59,  No.  4                                                       April

2016

      Contents

Illustration: Jernigan Institute Hosts Local Political Debates

Where is the Ladies' Room, Anyway?

by Deborah Kent Stein

The Lobby of the Anaheim Hilton: The Third Dimension of the National

Convention

by Mary Ellen Jernigan

On Careers in the Blindness Field and the Freedom to Choose

by Geerat J. Vermeij

When Assertiveness and Confidence Made All the Difference

by Ever Lee Hairston

An Introduction to Diabetes and Insulin Pumps

by Mike Freeman

Accessibility of Insulin Pumps in 2015

by Veronica Elsea

Business and Being Blind: One Man's Winning Combination

by Gary Wunder

How Life Influences the Daughter of a Federationist and What She Tells the

World about It

by Ann Sywensky

A Matter of Justice: Our Fight to Obtain Braille Instruction

by Holly Miller

Driving a Nail

by Dan J. Hicks

Long-Term Training

by Danny R. Robinson

A Thank You for What You Are Giving to Our Grandson

by LaVonne Butler

Amazon, Blind Federation Reach Agreement on Accessibility

by Mark Sherman

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

by Allen Harris

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO CAPTION: The candidates for District 11 council member sit on stage

as the debate begins]

[PHOTO CAPTION: The stage was full with twelve candidates for mayor lined

up for the March 3 debate]

[PHOTO CAPTION: The mayoral debate drew quite a crowd of Baltimore voters]

              Jernigan Institute Hosts Local Political Debates

      Since a part of the job of the National Federation of the Blind is to

let the public know that we are invested in civic responsibility and

interested in political events and the way they influence the future of our

country, we have recently offered the Jernigan Institute for two major

public events in Baltimore. The first was a debate held on February 11

between four candidates seeking to be the council member from District 11.

The second debate to help determine the next mayor of Baltimore was held on

March 3, with twelve candidates participating. Topics covered were

education, employment, public safety, housing, taxes, and disability. On

this latter issue all of the candidates were asked this question: one in

five Baltimore city residents has a disability and face barriers to

education, inaccessible technology, and an unemployment rate of over 70

percent. What will your guiding principles be when determining disability

policy for the city? Although President Riccobono had opened with welcoming

remarks describing the purpose of our organization, some participants were

shocked to get a question on disability. As one source said, "Four had the

'deer in the headlights' look, four gave somewhat coherent answers, and

four evidenced an understanding of what the Federation works to do through

doing away with subminimum wages, making technology universally usable, and

seeing that everyone gets a fair shake when considered for hiring and

promotion."

      One hundred and twenty people attended the council debate, and more

than 320 were present to witness the mayoral debate. The Federation was

given high marks for the greeting we gave to each member of the community

and for the organizing that went into these most successful events. We were

assisted by the Baltimore City League of Women Voters and the six

neighborhood Peninsula associations who helped in drafting questions and

urging the community to attend.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Deborah Kent]

                     Where Is The Ladies' Room, Anyway?

                            by Deborah Kent Stein

      From the Editor: This story was originally run in the Fall 2014 issue

of Persimmon Tree, an Online Magazine of the Arts by Women over Sixty.

Deborah Kent Stein is the writer of many children's books and the editor of

Future Reflections, a magazine which is used as a source of information and

encouragement by parents of blind children in the United States and beyond.

She lives in Chicago with her husband, and together they have one adult

daughter.

      In this article Debbie describes the thrill of becoming a published

author, but soon discovers that her new-found success is not enough to

shield her from the perception that being blind means she is helpless and

in need of special care. Here is what she says:

      Some life events are so momentous that you know you will be

transformed forever. That knowledge buoyed me along as I boarded a city bus

to have lunch with my editor at The Dial Press. I was twenty-eight years

old, and my first novel had just been accepted for publication.

      "Please let me know when we get to Forty-sixth Street," I told the

driver. I felt tall and proud, and my voice radiated confidence. Of course

the driver would let me know when we reached my stop. This was going to be

a perfect day. I had stepped into the winners' circle.

      My earrings swung lightly as I followed my guide dog, Yulie, a four-

year-old German shepherd, down the narrow aisle. I slipped into a seat, and

she curled up at my feet. The bus ground forward through the city traffic.

We were on our way.

      What would my fellow passengers say if they knew they were sharing

their morning commute with a genuine author? Of course, I was the same

person I had been last week, before that resounding acceptance letter

arrived. But now, finally, I had achieved a version of myself that the

world would recognize and respect. People would know I wasn't simply that

blind woman with the beautiful dog. I was a woman who signed literary

contracts and rushed off to lunches with editors.

      Several publishers occupied the third floor of the vast office

building at 1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, a prestigious address right next to

the United Nations. After three conflicting sets of directions from

strangers, I arrived at The Dial Press suite. I introduced myself to the

receptionist and told her I had an appointment for twelve noon. I was

fifteen minutes early, and she invited me to wait on the vinyl-covered

sofa.

      "First," I said, "could you tell me where the ladies' room is?"

      There was a stunned silence. "Oh, no! I'm afraid not!" the

receptionist stammered. "It's way down the hall-you'll never be able to

find-there are obstacles-"

      What obstacle did she think could possibly stand in my way? I asked

again, a firm, no-more-nonsense request for information, but she refused to

give even a hint.

      I considered returning to the corridor and seeking out a few more

sets of directions. The minutes were fleeing, though, and I might not get

back by twelve. I couldn't risk being late.

      "Never mind," I said. "I'll wait." Surely my editor would have no

trouble explaining how to get from Point A to Point B. She was in the

business of language, after all.

     I settled Yulie at my feet and thought about the meeting ahead. I had

an idea for my next book, and I wondered when would be the ideal moment to

raise the topic. Getting a first book published was wonderful, but I didn't

want to stop there.

      Suddenly I heard the receptionist saying my editor's name. "Your

twelve-o'clock appointment is here," she reported in a clipped,

professional tone. Then her voice dropped to a stage whisper. "She has to

go to the bathroom," she hissed, "and she's blind!"

      A rush of heat flooded my face. To the woman behind the desk I was

not a triumphant new author. I was merely blind, with all the liabilities

that blindness entailed for her. I was an irresponsible, oversized child,

and at any moment I might pee on the furniture.

      Seconds later an inner door flew open, and my editor dashed out to

avert disaster. After a quick exchange of pleasantries, she offered to show

me to the ladies' room. She was abundantly gracious, and we went on to

salvage our meeting, despite the awkward start. Over coffee and dessert I

brought up my new book idea, and she invited me to submit a proposal.

      Publishing my first novel changed my life. I left my career in social

work forever and became a full-time writer. But my first meeting with an

editor was not the transformative event of that long-ago day. My pivotal

moment came when I heard the receptionist's announcement over the office

phone: "She has to go to the bathroom-and she's blind!"

      Blind since birth, I grew up having to prove myself to others. My

family believed in me, but beyond the safe sphere of home the world was

full of doubters and detractors. Teachers offered to lighten my

assignments; Scout leaders discouraged me from going on field trips; at the

amusement park a manager refused to let me ride the rollercoaster. "You

better not try that, dear," I heard again and again. "Wait over here ...

We'll do it for you ... That will be easier ... safer ..." Past success and

present abilities counted for nothing. The refrain was endless: "You can't

do that. It's not for you. You're blind."

      Achievement was the key, my parents assured me. If I studied hard and

seized every opportunity, I would carve a place for myself in the world. I

came to believe that, if I was enough of a success in life, someday people

would see me fully. They would know that blindness did not define me, that

it was just one aspect of who I was, like being female and American. The

receptionist showed me that no achievement would ever free me from the

humiliations of prejudice.

      As a student on a liberal campus in the 1960s, I answered the call to

collective action many times. I marched on the Pentagon with a placard that

demanded: "BRING THE BOYS BACK HOME!" I tutored underprivileged children

and visited patients who languished on the state psychiatric wards. I knew

I was blessed to have grown up with a loving family in a clean, comfortable

suburb. Out in the Real World were millions who did not enjoy my good

fortune. My generation was committed to change all that. We would shatter

the bulwarks of inequality and create the world that ought to be.

      While I sang "We Shall Overcome" and added my voice to the chorus

that called for "PEACE NOW!" I was fighting an endless series of lonely

private battles. An art professor barred me from his studio sculpture

course; a doctor in the campus clinic refused to sign my routine health

form for a trip overseas; I was turned down for participation in a winter

term project. It was because I was blind, they said. That was all the

reason anyone needed.

      Those moments of exclusion folded into a predictable pattern. Each

fresh incident evoked the memories of a lifetime, and each struggle honed

my skills at fighting back. I learned to bargain, to build an argument, to

go over heads. In the end, after varying degrees of stress and psychic

pain, I usually prevailed. Doors opened-tentatively, grudgingly-but once I

crossed the threshold I had another chance to prove myself capable.

      Though I won countless battles, the war dragged on. Sometimes I was

forced to concede defeat. I had to take a different class or find an

alternative winter term project when those in charge refused to yield.

      It never occurred to me that the roadblocks I dealt with were

symptoms of a pervasive social injustice. Terms such as "racism" and

"capitalist exploitation" were part of my vocabulary, but I knew no word

for the exclusion I encountered because of my blindness. It seemed deeply

personal, a shameful burden unique to my own experience. All of my friends

were sighted. I had never had a blind mentor. In all my life I had never

met a blind teacher, a blind shopkeeper, a blind banker, or even a blind

homemaker raising children. As far as I could tell, blind people vanished

into the stratosphere when they grew up. I was determined to share in all

the challenges and bounty of life. I wanted to make meaningful

contributions in the world. But I felt that I was embarking upon a solo

journey. Whatever I chose to do, I would be a pioneer.

      After I graduated from college I earned a master's degree in social

work. I had built a strong risumi, laced with volunteer work and summer

internships in addition to my graduate training. Nevertheless, when I set

out to find a job, the doors were bolted shut.

      My risumi won me a series of job interviews. Over the phone

prospective employers were cordial and enthusiastic, but the tone turned

cool the moment I walked through the door. Sometimes a position that was

available that very morning miraculously had been filled at noon. Sometimes

the interviewer served up advice. At the large agencies I was told to try a

smaller place where the staff could give me the special attention I surely

would need. At the small agencies I heard, "You should apply at one of the

big places that have a lot of different programs; maybe they can fit you in

somewhere." The social work director at a renowned private hospital

declared, "Because of your handicap I'm not about to hire you. Why should I

hire someone with a problem? I have dozens of other applicants to choose

from."

      As the months passed, all of my classmates found work. They became

self-supporting adults, respectable members of the community. I was still

living at home, sending out risumis, and growing more and more desperate. I

began to understand that the treatment I received had nothing to do with my

personal failings. It was a generic response to my blindness, not unlike

the rejection African Americans historically experienced when they applied

to an all-white college or sat down at a whites-only lunch counter. I was

dealing with blatant discrimination. Surely there were people who could

help me. I called the ACLU [American Civil Liberties Union].

      The woman who answered the phone listened carefully, then passed my

call to someone else. "We've never had a situation like this before," I

heard, and my heart sank. I hung on as my call was handed on yet again to

"someone who will know."

      "I'm sorry, but we can't help you," the voice of authority told me at

last. "If it was discrimination because of race or religion or gender, we

could take it on. But there aren't any laws about discrimination on the

basis of disability. If you want help from us, you'll have to change the

law first." I went back to my risumis and my interviews. I was a pioneer,

braving the roadless wilderness.

      After months of searching my persistence was rewarded at last. I

found a position at a community mental health clinic in a settlement house

on New York's Lower East Side. It was an ideal job for me, allowing me to

work with a wide variety of clients. My colleagues were warm and welcoming,

and I quickly became a full-fledged member of the team. I rented an

apartment in the city and flung myself into my exciting new life. But I

couldn't forget the ordeal of discrimination that I had endured. When a

financial crisis threatened to close the settlement house and throw me back

into the job market, I felt a clutch of dread. I had been lucky to find a

place where I was accepted and valued, but I knew what the world could

deliver.

      I had been living in New York for two years when I crossed paths with

a blind acquaintance from my childhood. We had attended the same summer

camp for blind children, and now she too was living in the city. Like me,

she had encountered a wall of discrimination when she looked for a job

after college. Now she had banded together with a group of other young

blind professionals to write an amendment to the New York State Human

Rights Act so that it would cover disability as well as race, religion, and

gender. I remembered my call to the ACLU and pitched in to help. Here was

my chance to change the law!

      It was thrilling to work with others who shared my perspective.

Inspired by the spirit of the Sixties, we had joined forces to make a

difference. Our amendment passed in the legislature and became part of the

law in New York State. A few months later, the state law was superseded

when the US Congress passed the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Its

groundbreaking Section 504 forbade discrimination against people with

disabilities in any program that received $2,500 or more per year in

federal funds.

      What had happened was extraordinary. Hundreds of people with

disabilities-blind people, deaf people, polio survivors, people with

cerebral palsy-had pooled our strength and changed the world. We had won

legal protections that never existed before. I stepped back in relief. I

didn't want disability rights to become my life's work. With the passage of

the new laws I felt free to move on.

      Of course, it was naive to imagine that Section 504 would vanquish

discrimination. Yet I believed that change would be powerful and clear.

Blind students would no longer be forbidden to take the classes they

wanted, and blind job-seekers would have recourse if a prospective employer

said, "Because of your handicap I'm not about to hire you." Busy with my

career and my circle of friends, I didn't try to learn whether the law was

having an impact. I wanted to believe in good news.

      Eventually I left my social work job and moved to San Miguel de

Allende in Mexico to try my hand at writing. I would stay for a year, I

told myself, but I stayed for five years altogether. I wrote a young-adult

novel, Belonging. I sent it off to make its way in the world, and one day I

received a letter saying that it had been accepted for publication. I went

to The Dial Press to have lunch with my editor.

      The women's movement of the early Seventies coined the phrase, "The

personal is political." What could be more personal than the desire to

visit the ladies' room discreetly and with dignity? In that moment with the

receptionist at Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, my dignity was stripped away. The

receptionist's assumptions about who I was and how she should treat me

sprang from cultural beliefs about disability that stretch back before the

dawn of history. I came to understand that every minute of every day, far

worse scenes played out all over the nation and across the globe.

      The truth did not come to me with a blare of trumpets and a crash of

cymbals. It seeped in drop by drop as the years passed; everyday life

brought reminders and reinforcements I could no longer ignore. I realized

that laws were a splendid beginning, but they were not enough to change

people's minds and hearts. Neither could achievement free me or any other

person with a disability from the clinging web of prejudice. Discrimination

would persist in myriad forms unless we worked together and assailed it

with inexhaustible resolve.

      I never wanted to make disability rights my life's work, but step by

step I waded into activism. Turning away was no longer an option. There was

so much to be done that it would take millions of people and more lifetimes

than I could count.

      I became a committed member of the National Federation of the Blind,

an organization that advocates for the full participation of blind people

in all aspects of life. We fight for equal opportunities in education and

employment, for access to technology, for the right of blind parents to

raise their children, for accurate portrayals of blind people in the media.

We work to educate the public about the abilities of blind people and the

contributions we can make when we are given a chance. To me one of our most

crucial activities is the mentoring of blind young people. We try to teach

them that they can walk with confidence, that they can grow up to carry all

the privileges and responsibilities of adulthood, that it's perfectly

respectable to be blind.

      Discrimination still stalks the workplace, but opportunities have

opened in fields as diverse as teaching, chemistry, and computer science.

Little by little, anti-discrimination laws and public education are making

inroads. And today when I visit the offices of a publisher, I don't have to

ask where the ladies' room is. On the wall outside each restroom door is a

Braille sign clearly marked "MEN" or "WOMEN." Discreetly and with dignity,

I can choose the right door.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO SHOWCASE: Mary Ellen Jernigan]

    The Lobby of the Anaheim Hilton: The Third Dimension of the National

                                 Convention

                           by Mary Ellen Jernigan

      From the Editor: Mary Ellen Jernigan joined the National Federation

of the Blind in the decade of the 60s. She began her career in the field of

blindness by working for Dr. Kenneth Jernigan at the Iowa Commission for

the Blind and rose to become its assistant director. She moved to Baltimore

in 1978 and has worked for the NFB since that time handling everything from

the minute details of accounting and auditing to the planning for the

computer infrastructure at the Jernigan Institute. She is best known to

many for the miracles she performed in coordinating our national

conventions, but she is most loved for the insight and commitment she

reveals when she puts pen to paper and reveals her intellect, heart, and

spirit in her infrequent speeches and presentations. One of the things I

love about her personality is that she is strong and at the same time

flexible; certain of her basic philosophic and ideological beliefs and at

the same time reflective enough to examine them. We wish to thank her for

all of the years of hard work, intelligence, and creativity that have made

this address possible. Here are the comments she made to a seminar focusing

on convention planning held over the weekend of February 19 and 20, 2016:

      When President Riccobono opened this conference yesterday afternoon,

he said that each of our conventions has two dimensions-the logistical and

the political. He told us that we must learn to manage both of those

dimensions, making them work together seamlessly, to create a convention

experience that amplifies the characteristics inherent in the promise and

power of the Federation.

      Then he described that experience as it first hit him twenty years

ago: "I entered the lobby of the Anaheim Hilton, carrying my rickety fold-

up white cane....and just being in that space, I felt joy and hope and

power and love falling all around me. Listen to that one more time: Just

being in that space...

      Although he didn't name that experience for us yesterday, I want to

name it for us tonight. It is the third dimension of the convention. I call

it the Spiritual dimension. A little more elusive than the other two

dimensions-the logistical and the political. But just as real. And we have

been talking about it yesterday and today-or at least nibbling around its

edges without quite bringing it straight out into the open.

      Let me go back to our president. About six months before he became

our president, when he was directing the Jernigan Institute, he spearheaded

a branding exercise: very expensive, time consuming, headed by outsiders,

and heavy on following a canned set of procedures dictated to us by our

assigned facilitators.

      If you are getting the impression that I was less than excited about

the whole project, you would be right. Let me just say here that I have

learned not to underestimate the wisdom of our President.

      During the first session as we started through the canned process,

all of us were describing proudly the wonderful programs and activities of

the Federation-especially the ones to which each of us felt some pride in

our own contributions. Suddenly, our facilitator interrupted us and said

with some exasperation, "No, No, No! Stop talking to me about what you DO.

I want you to talk to me about who you ARE." That was when I stopped

sulking about the process and began to listen.

      Many of you know that I have been involved in managing the logistical

details for our national conventions for the last forty-five years or so.

This has meant that for several months of each of those years the planning

of those details has taken much of my energy and attention. So, obviously I

don't think such details are unimportant.

      But, they are important only in the context of how and whether they

contribute to who we are.

      The things we do-our favorite programs and our cherished projects-are

not who we are. The two are not independent of each other-they are most

certainly interconnected, but they are not the same.

      All too often, for many of us, our tendency is to focus mainly on the

tasks themselves-getting whatever it is done efficiently and competently-

planning the agenda, selecting the speakers, confirming that they will

remember to show up, selling the banquet tickets, printing the badges,

making the restaurant guides, whatever.

      Just as the convention should not be about its logistics, it should

not be primarily about more information. Information has its place; we have

many avenues of getting it out, and we are good at doing so.

      We invite speakers to our conventions and then suffer through program

items filled with facts, figures, and statistics-how many books in which

formats did the library distribute, how many closures of which kind did the

rehab agency rack during the year, what field trips did the students at the

school for the blind take?

      But ask yourself. When you go home from convention, what do you take

with you? What makes you anticipate the next one? What makes you save your

money and your vacation days so that you won't miss it? I doubt that it's

those facts and figures.

      At its best the convention is about what we create when we come

together. It's about something no one of us can do without the rest of us.

      To me this means that we should be able to take each and every part

of our convention-from the seemingly insignificant act of working at an

information table to inviting speakers and planning the program agenda-and

relate that act to who we are. And if we can't do that, or don't like what

we see when we do, then it is something we shouldn't do-or we should at

least evaluate how we are doing it.

      How does including this specific activity in the convention transform

dreams into reality? Does it reflect respect? Is it inviting? Does it

encourage participation? Does it raise expectations? Does it encourage

people to know that their contributions make a difference to themselves and

others? Is it inspiring? Is it filled with love? Does it offer hope? Does

it create something that did not exist before we did it?

      If you can't answer yes to at least some of these questions, then ask

yourself another question: why are you planning to do it at all?

      At their best our conventions are alive with the vibrant energy of

who we are at our deepest level. Though conventions are not the programs

and activities that we undertake, they most certainly create them.

      Let me give you an example. I started teaching cane travel at the

Iowa Commission for the Blind in 1966, and I was good at it. Joanne Wilson

was one of my students, so was Patricia Maurer, and for a brief period,

Marc Maurer also. I was trained by a sighted travel teacher who was there

before me, and when I left, I trained another sighted person to take my

place.

      Dr. Jernigan was director of the Commission. He had hired all three

of us. He was proud of the Iowa travel program. It was part of cutting edge

Federation philosophy-what could happen when rehab programs were run by

people who believed in blind people. And yet he, Kenneth Jernigan, our

leader and president, hired only sighted travel teachers.

      He took our students with their exceedingly long white canes to NFB

national conventions, where they showed off their exceptional skills-to the

envy of many and the irritation of others. Soon the Iowa students began

showing others how to use a long white cane to travel more effectively.

      Our Federation training centers still offer cutting edge cane travel

training, but today most of our travel teachers are blind, and it took our

coming together in convention to make it happen. It came about because of

relationships and factual observation. It came about because of a shift in

our collective thought processes that something was not quite right in our

thinking. It came about because of an openness to change.

      Today there are specific elements that give a unifying dimension to

our conventions: renewal of commitment, the incorporation of rookies into

the body of the Federation, the mentoring of scholarship winners, the

reaching out to parents of blind children, the hammering out of policy-

sometimes confirming, sometimes changing our direction-the giving of hope

to the hopeless, the sharing of resources-financial and emotional-the love

falling on all who care to receive it. Through all of this mingling and

melding, something new and precious emerges-something that manages somehow

to be collective, and yet very personal to each of us. When we do it right,

this is true for longtime members and new recruits alike.

      So, I would say that the primary function of our conventions is to

tend and nurture our own integrity as a life-building movement in a self-

renewing way. Not in a static way that carves into stone what was done in

the past or believed to be "right," but in a way that is right for the

times in which we live now.

      When we do that, the future form of the ever-changing "what-we-do" at

the tactical and strategic levels will be merely a new expression of the

unchanging "who-we-are" at the inner spiritual level.

      Joy and hope. Power and love. Falling all around us. Or we might

simply say it this way: "The lobby of the Anaheim Hilton."

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Geerat J. Vermeij bends over to reach into aquatic grasses

while standing in water nearly to his knees]

         On Careers in the Blindness Field and the Freedom to Choose

                            by Geerat J. Vermeij

      From the Editor: Dr. Vermeij is a scientist of considerable fame, and

the Braille Monitor is blessed by the fact that he is a reader of the

magazine and sometimes writes articles that add significantly to

discussions featured in these pages.

      In the January 2016 issue we featured an article by Justin Salisbury

entitled "Keeping Some of the Good Oranges," making the case that we cannot

send all of our best people to other fields and that some need to stay in

work with the blind to help others. Dr. Vermeij offers the perspective that

having highly qualified people in work with the blind is a good idea, but

not at the expense of doing what one's heart, head, talent, and inclination

indicate he or she should do. He also argues that integration means going

beyond the blindness field and demonstrating our abilities in diverse areas

where people come to know us as competent colleagues, valued mentors, and

trusted friends. Here is what Dr. Vermeij has to say:

      It was the last day of the fourth International Paleontological

Congress, held in late 2014 in Mendoza, the wine capital of Argentina.

Miguel Griffin, one of Argentina's foremost paleontologists, was about to

introduce me as that day's plenary speaker to an audience of some 1,200

colleagues from all over the world. For years I had been studying the

circumstances that permit and compel some lineages of animals and plants to

evolve to gigantic sizes. I measured specimens in museums and in my own

collections, read hundreds of scientific papers, and spent many hours

reflecting on the results; and now it was time to bring all this work

together into a coherent story, with wide-ranging implications for how we

interpret the history and future of life on our planet. It was thrilling to

communicate my findings and thoughts on this widely discussed topic to a

receptive audience of exclusively sighted scientists. Together with the

scientific paper that I subsequently published on the subject in the

journal PLoS One, this event was one of many in my professional life that

fulfilled my aspirations to participate and play a leading role in the

global scientific enterprise. Following the congress, about a dozen of us

went on a field excursion to Patagonia, led by Miguel Griffin and Alejandra

Pagani. We visited fossil sites, drove over thousands of kilometers of

washboard roads, ate delicious meat-heavy dinners in which the principal

vegetable was wine, and ended with a visit to the spectacular Museo

Paleontolsgico Egidio Feruglio in Trelew, home to the largest (and still

unpublished) dinosaur ever discovered.

      I am one of those supremely fortunate blind people who, thanks to a

wonderful family, the gift of Braille, and a first-rate education in two

countries was given the opportunity to enter the profession of my choice.

>From a very young age, I yearned to be a scientist. With my love of shells

and of the natural world generally, I gravitated inexorably to biology and

the earth sciences. Flexibly minded mentors, an incredibly smart and

supportive spouse, accommodating employers, and talented students and

assistants enabled me to become a competitive scholar-scientist, one who

continues to live a full life of field and museum research, writing,

reading, university teaching, journal editing, reviewing papers, and

engaging with the blind and sighted public through lectures, presentations,

media appearances, and service on commissions and as a museum trustee.

      Two motivations power this trajectory. First is an immense, all-

encompassing curiosity about how the world works and about the principles

underlying its history. I have a passion for science, the most reliable way

we have of uncovering empirical truths and exploring natural phenomena.

Second is the expectation and hope that what I do benefits society in a

meaningful and lasting way. The work may be academic and curiosity-driven,

but it bears directly on the world's current and future environmental

crisis as well as on the application of evolutionary principles to

understand human economic structure and behavior. To be sure, a career at a

premier research university comes with a certain status, but that by itself

would never be enough to sustain an active engagement with the facts and

ideas of science.

      Why, the reader may ask, has blindness figured so little in my life's

work? Do I not feel an overwhelming responsibility to dedicate my energies

to teaching other blind people or to expand my efforts into advocacy for

issues that matter to the blindness community? Could I not be accused of

ignoring the problems faced by my fellow blind humans in favor of selfish

scientific interests? Does a career like mine, in which involvement with

the blindness community is well-meaning but incidental, reflect the

destructive attitude that work in the blindness field is somehow

unimportant or inferior? The answer to this question, according to Justin

Salisbury in his article "Keeping Some of the Good Oranges" (Braille

Monitor, January 2016), is yes. According to Salisbury, a second-year

graduate student, blind people who insist on working and staying in fields

outside the blindness field harbor unwarranted feelings of smug

superiority.

      Let me deal with these issues in turn. The first question concerns a

sense of obligation to the blindness community. The honest answer in my

case is that, although I find it important to give back, this sentiment

extends broadly to the academic community and the scientific enterprise in

which I was raised, and is not limited or primarily focused on the blind. I

can only hope that, by being the best scientist I can be, I might be seen

as a respectable and desirable role model by aspiring blind scholars and by

anyone else with the drive and wherewithal to enter the competitive but

immensely satisfying world of science. This role is ideal for one who, like

me, is not enough of a people person to become deeply involved in worthy

political causes or with extensive outreach. For better or worse, my

talents and interests lie elsewhere. Reflection persuades me that

fulfillment in one's work and in one's life as a whole comes by acting on

unvarnished self-knowledge, a combination of responsibility, and of knowing

who we are, what we are good at, and what our passions are. Integrity, it

seems to me, derives from being honest about ourselves, being open to

others, and being true to our ideals.

      As to the second question, the choice of one career over another does

not mean that the other is less important or less worthwhile. Having been

the recipient of some superb teaching, I am fully convinced of the crucial

place of education in shaping people and of the central role that talented

blind people can play in it. Likewise I value and admire an effective,

levelheaded political leader, a benevolent and flexible administrator, a

competent plumber, and a farmer who sells the finest locally grown

California oranges at the Davis farmer's market. This does not mean,

however, that I should be the one to do what these people do, nor does it

imply that those pursuits carry less prestige. Regardless of what we do for

a living, we develop a legitimate sense of self-worth and honor and meaning

when we carry out our responsibilities well. Status and respect flow from

our accomplishments, not from either good intentions or from job

descriptions. We must in any case avoid conflating the importance of our

work with the passions that motivate it and the talents and skills that

enable it.

      One of the most enduring goals of the National Federation of the

Blind is to ensure that blind people have the same range of opportunities

as their sighted peers. Some of us will choose to work in the blindness

field, where great talent and passion are most certainly needed; whereas

others, like me, will find other ways to contribute to fields and causes

where talented blind people can also make a difference. As blind people

living at a time of unprecedented opportunity, we should celebrate the

freedom that comes with greater choice. Knowing what the options are and

how our interests and abilities mesh with them is a key ingredient in

fashioning a productive and rewarding career.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ever Lee Hairston]

          When Assertiveness and Confidence Made All the Difference

                            by Ever Lee Hairston

      From the Editor: Ever Lee Hairston is a member of the national board

of directors, the first vice president of the National Federation of the

Blind of California, and the author of a newly released book entitled Blind

Ambition: One Woman's Journey to Greatness Despite Her Blindness. Here is

her story about what should have been a quick trip through the airport that

was turned into a test of will and a race against time:

      I arrived at the LAX Airport at approximately 11:15 p.m. and was

scheduled to depart on the 12:40 a.m. flight to Charlotte, North Carolina.

I booked this flight only a few hours prior to arriving at the airport in

view of the fact that my mother's vital signs indicated that she was in

critical condition, and I was making every attempt to get to the Alston

Brook Nursing Home in Lexington, North Carolina.

      Upon arriving at terminal seven at the airport, one of the American

Airlines agents approached me and stated, "Due to the mass construction at

the airport, all flights are departing from terminal four."

      I asked her what the fastest way to get to terminal four was. She

stated that a bus for disabled persons would come soon, and I should sit

and wait. After sitting for fifteen minutes, which seemed like hours, I

told her that I would walk to terminal four. "But you are blind, and you

can't," she said.

      I found the exit door by using my long white cane, and I started

walking toward terminal four carrying a heavy handbag and a backpack. At

the bus stop I got on, and the driver drove past terminal four without

alerting me. Therefore, when I got off the bus, I had to walk back in the

opposite direction, still with my heavy bags and time that was passing by

and lessening the chances I would make my flight.

      When I got inside terminal four, I yelled for help. It seemed as if

no one was around. Finally, an airline agent approached me and asked if she

could help. I asked for directions to security. She told me to have a seat,

and she would get someone to help me. Feeling desperate, I explained why it

was so important for me to get on the 12:40 a.m. flight. I then asked her

to direct me to the quickest way to security.

      "The steps are here, but you are blind." I ran up the steps and was

prepared to go through the security process when she held onto my back,

which set off the metal detector. I asked her not to touch me, and she said

she was afraid that I might fall. I was really losing my patience at this

point.

      "You watched me run up the steps, and now you think it is necessary

to keep me from falling on a flat surface?"

      After going through the metal detector, I asked the officer to direct

me to my gate. Then I heard my name being called over the paging system. By

this point I was very nervous and desperate, so I began to run as fast as I

could. Finally I got a break; an agent at the gate saw me and yelled,

"Stop, I see you, and I will not close the door."

      I sat on the plane realizing that, if I had not used my skills, I

would have missed my flight. I thought about how often, in the kindest

tones and probably with the best of motives, we are asked to sit and wait

for someone to help us. I thought of former President Maurer's statement at

the March for Independence where John Lewis appeared. Dr. Maurer said that

we are tired of being told to sit down and wait, that we spend too many

hours waiting, and that we intend to take control of our own lives. It

isn't always easy to disobey an order, especially one that is in all

likelihood made with the best of intentions, but sometimes it is necessary

to be assertive, confrontive, and to do what needs to be done. Very often

we feel the need to be unassailably kind and courteous, thinking of

ourselves as ambassadors of goodwill and the educators of sighted people.

But there are times when one has to prioritize, and for me the priority was

getting to my mother's bedside.

      This phenomenal trip had an extraordinary ending because I arrived at

the Alston Brook Nursing Home shortly before my mother expired. What a

difference it made knowing that I was independent enough to travel on my

own. What a difference it made knowing that I could refuse help when it

wasn't needed and direct those to give me the help I really did need. To

the people who encountered me in the airport that day, patiently waiting

and meekly obeying their requests might have made me a more pleasant

passenger in their eyes, but my more important mission was to say goodbye

to my mother. I thank God for the tough-minded independence I have learned

throughout my life and which has been supported by my brothers and sisters

in the National Federation of the Blind.

                                 ----------

                         Consider a Charitable Gift

      Making a charitable gift can be one of the most satisfying

experiences in life. Each year millions of people contribute their time,

talent, and treasure to charitable organizations. When you plan for a gift

to the National Federation of the Blind, you are not just making a

donation; you are leaving a legacy that insures a future for blind people

throughout the country. Special giving programs are available through the

National Federation of the Blind (NFB).

Points to Consider When Making a Gift to the National Federation of the

Blind

    . Will my gift serve to advance the mission of the NFB?

    . Am I giving the most appropriate asset?

    . Have I selected the best way to make my gift?

    . Have I considered the tax consequences of my gift?

    . Have I sought counsel from a competent advisor?

    . Have I talked to the NFB planned giving officer about my gift?

Benefits of Making a Gift to the NFB

    . Helping the NFB fulfill its mission

    . Receiving income tax savings through a charitable deduction

    . Making capital gain tax savings on contribution of some appreciated

      gifts

    . Providing retained payments for the life of a donor or other

      beneficiaries

    . Eliminating federal estate tax in certain situations

    . Reducing estate settlement cost

Your Gift Will Help Us

    . Make the study of science and math a real possibility for blind

      children

    . Provide hope and training for seniors losing vision

    . Promote state and chapter programs and provide information that will

      educate blind people

    . Advance technology helpful to the blind

    . Create a state-of-the-art library on blindness

    . Train and inspire professionals working with the blind

    . Provide critical information to parents of blind children

    . Mentor blind people trying to find jobs

Your gift makes you a part of the NFB dream!

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Mike Freeman]

                An Introduction to Diabetes and Insulin Pumps

                               by Mike Freeman

      From the Editor: One pledge we have made is to use the pages of the

Braille Monitor to keep people up-to-date on one of the most significant

health issues affecting the blind-diabetes. Mike Freeman is the president

of the Diabetes Action Network, and he does a stellar job of scanning the

literature and bringing information to the division and this magazine.

Sometimes what he offers are articles synthesizing what he has learned. At

other times he recommends that something he has read be reprinted. This

time he has done both because of the complexity of the subject being

discussed and his attempt to explain alternative ways to treat diabetes,

the role of technology, and the barriers to blind people wishing to use it.

Here is what he says:

      Diabetes mellitus (the full medical term for the disease we usually

call diabetes) is a metabolic disease characterized by an insufficiency in

the production of the hormone insulin or the inability of the cells of the

body to efficiently use this hormone. Insulin is normally produced by the

pancreas, a small gland located behind the stomach. When we eat, our

digestive system breaks down the food into its components-protein, fat,

carbohydrate, and trace minerals. The water-soluble carbohydrate is in turn

broken down into its components, principally the simple sugar known as

glucose. The cells of the body then take in this glucose to meet their

energy needs. The protein and fat are also broken down and sometimes also

are converted into glucose for energy. The glucose that isn't needed for

current energy is stored in the liver as what is known as glycogen; the

liver may be ordered later to release this glycogen if the body detects

that the level of glucose in the blood is getting too low. The water-

insoluble carbohydrate is called fiber, and the body gets rid of it as

waste.

      All of the cells of the body need insulin in order to process glucose

with the exception of brain cells that can use glucose directly. Thus, if

there is no insulin being produced by the pancreas (Type 1 Diabetes) or

there is less insulin being produced than is needed or the cells of the

body don't respond to insulin very well (both conditions are called Type 2

Diabetes), the cells can't get enough energy, and the level of glucose in

the blood rises to dangerous levels. Over time, high levels of glucose in

the blood often lead to damage to other systems in the body, resulting in

such complications of diabetes such as heart disease, arterial disease,

diabetic retinopathy (damage to the nerves in the eyes), and diabetic

peripheral neuropathy (damage to nerves of the hands, feet, and possibly

nerves controlling other functions such as digestion). Thus, diabetic

complications are serious and are to be avoided if possible. The way to do

this is to control the level of glucose in the blood, keeping it as close

to the normal level for people who do not have diabetes as possible while

avoiding the side effect of blood glucose getting too low.

      For people with Type 1 diabetes, this means supplying insulin

artificially to replace that no longer being produced by the pancreas. This

may also be the treatment of choice for people with Type 2 diabetes. Some

people with Type 2 diabetes are able to control the disease through diet

and exercise alone (exercise makes muscle cells take up blood glucose for

energy). In addition, there are a number of drugs available that do things

like getting the pancreas to produce more insulin, lessening the amount of

carbohydrate being absorbed into the body, lengthening the amount of time

it takes carbohydrates to be absorbed so that the level of blood glucose in

the blood rises more slowly than might be expected, and, finally, making

the cells use insulin more efficiently (we call this last phenomenon

"lowering of insulin resistance"). All these medications can be

administered by mouth except for insulin; the digestive system would

destroy the insulin, so it must be injected under the skin. People with

diabetes can inject themselves directly by shots or by using insulin pumps.

In either case, these people with diabetes must balance the amount of

carbohydrate they eat with the amount of insulin they inject to process

this carbohydrate.

      From the foregoing it should be clear that diabetes is not one of

those diseases about which the doctor says: "Take these pills and come back

in two weeks to see if you're well again." Diabetes involves a fair amount

of effort from the person with the disease; blood glucose levels need to be

checked from once a day to as often as ten or twelve times a day, depending

upon the person; meals must be planned so that the amount of nutrients they

contain are known or the amount of these nutrients must be guessed at and

medications must often be taken in order to deal with these nutrients.

Between finger sticks, giving oneself shots, and learning all the

terminology to begin to understand and manage the disease is a challenge to

say the least.

      There are two blood glucose meters fully accessible to the blind: the

Prodigy Voice. and the Solus V2. (only the last ten readings from memory

can be reviewed using the meter alone with speech, although all the

readings are available on the visual display). Insulin stored in "insulin

pens" is easily controlled since pens click for each half-unit or full unit

of insulin one desires to inject (100 units equals one cubic centimeter or

one milliliter). There is also a device known as the Prodigy Count-a-Dose,

which allows insulin dose amounts to be selected accurately using insulin

vials and syringes.

      Now we come to insulin pumps, discussed in the article that follows.

These are microprocessor-controlled machines which inject insulin under the

skin using cannula and tubing or, in one instance, a small reservoir taped

to the skin with a small tube sticking into the skin. The insulin dose

administered by the pump is controlled by the program running in the

machine's microprocessor or by the person wearing the pump. Insulin pumps

are all the rage among diabetic endocrinologists today because they have

the potential to give better control over the amount of insulin in the

body, thus potentially allowing the pump-user to more closely approximate

the way the pancreas would normally secrete insulin into the body during

the day and night. Insulin pumps can also be beneficial for those squeamish

about injecting themselves using needles (although needles are disposable,

much smaller, sharper, and thus, less painful than in the past). The kicker

is that the insulin pump requires the person to know more about diabetes

and pay more attention to control than might be the case were a pump not

used. Depending upon the person, injections might be preferable since the

person is not attached constantly to a machine. It's very much a case of

"different strokes for different folks."

      The article below also discusses "continuous glucose monitoring

systems" (CGMS's). These are blood glucose meters that, rather than

assaying a sample of blood directly, report the amount of glucose in the

blood inferred from a censor placed under the skin and transmitted to the

meter wirelessly. The censor is replaced every few days. The meter usually

records the glucose reading every five minutes, displaying these readings

as a graph or by time and date and setting off an alarm if the readings it

sees are below or above thresholds set by the meter user. Finger-sticks are

not gone completely, though. The meter and censor's readings must be

calibrated using the results of blood glucose readings taken using a

conventional blood glucose meter at given intervals, perhaps once every day

or two.

      Ideally, the CGMS and pump should talk to each other, allowing the

pump to infer how much insulin it should give or not give depending upon

the CGMS reading it sees. This would, in effect, amount to an artificial

pancreas. There are some such systems in clinical trials, but none have

been tested and approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and

therefore are not available for purchase. So people with diabetes who use

pumps still must control blood glucose levels themselves.

      Certain terms used in the article that follows may be unfamiliar:

      . Basal rate: the pancreas normally secretes a small amount of insulin

      continuously to control blood glucose levels between meals and at

      night. The Basal rate is the rate of continuous insulin secretion the

      pump user programs into the pump.

      . Bolus: the insulin dose the user injects or tells the pump to inject

      to cover the carbohydrate eaten with a meal

      . On-board Insulin: the amount of insulin still in the body as a

      result of a previous bolus

      If this article and the one that follows leaves the reader with

questions, please contact Mike Freeman, president of the Diabetes Action

Network, by writing to him at <K7UIJ at panix.com>.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Veronica Elsea]

                   Accessibility of Insulin Pumps in 2015

                              by Veronica Elsea

      From the Editor: What does it mean to say that a particular piece of

equipment is accessible, and does what that equipment is used for change

the standard? The reader will notice in this article how resourceful

Veronica must be in counting beeps and in pressing a button in the hope

that she will be placed on the desired screen. It is one thing to say that

an oven is accessible if a person can adjust its temperature in five-degree

increments by counting beeps. If the oven starts at 325, setting the

temperature to 450 is certainly doable. If one is off by a single press,

either through difficulty in counting or a button press that doesn't

register or beep, the chances are that the food will still be edible. But

if miscounting beeps or not getting a confirmatory tone changes how much

medication one gives, the consequences may be very different.

      Veronica Elsea is a music business owner living in Santa Cruz,

California. She has produced several albums to date including "Diabetes

Melodious," using her music to help others live with the day-to-day

challenges of diabetes. Blind since infancy, she was diagnosed with Type 1

Diabetes in her thirties. After three years of less-than-ideal control

using regular and NPH insulins, she began using an insulin pump in 1991 and

continues to rely on the pump's benefits today. Since being diagnosed she

has taken advantage of living close to many of the companies that

manufacture diabetes management equipment, sitting down with engineers and

educating them on how their equipment could be made accessible to those who

are blind and visually impaired. In the early nineties she worked

intensively to help persuade medical professionals that people who are

blind can successfully manage insulin pumps without constant assistance

from a sighted person. Over the past twenty-five years, she has offered

support and encouragement to others who are blind who wish to know more

about using an insulin pump through the Diabetes Action Network and

personal contacts.

      Today she continues to find contacts among diabetes equipment

manufacturers, medical professionals, politicians, and people living with

diabetes in order to educate, engineer, and advocate for improvements in

equipment which would allow those who are blind and visually impaired to

make use of modern equipment in gaining or maintaining optimum diabetes

control. Here is what she has to say:

      I have been attached to an insulin pump since September of 1991. My

first pump was the H-Tron V100 from Disetronic. For the past ten years I

have been using the Deltec Cozmo from Smiths Medical. Neither of these

pumps are currently available. Disetronic has been purchased by Roche, and

Smiths Medical is no longer in the diabetes business. Since my current pump

is long out of warranty, I am quite concerned about what I'll do when it

stops working.

      On Saturday, March 7, 2015, I attended the day-long seminar organized

by Taking Control of Your Diabetes. In lieu of attending some of the

workshops, I spent most of my time in the exhibit hall visiting with all of

the insulin pump manufacturers who chose to attend. I was able to spend

some quality time with all of the pumps, gaining hands-on experience with

each. I tried out the Medtronic MiniMed 530G, The Animas Vibe, Animas Ping,

Asante Snap pump, Insulet Corporation's OmniPod, Tandem Diabetes t:slim,

and the Roche Accu-Chek Spirit.

      In the early nineties pumps were designed with convenience and easy

access through clothing in mind. Hence, they had large, easy-to-find

buttons, simply designed functions, beeps to guide the user through all

processes, and only a few different functions available. With today's smart

pumps, the devices take on more of the work such as figuring out carb

counts, more alarms, connecting with meters and continuous glucose

monitors, offering more programming options for the users. This increase in

functionality has led to an increased reliance on complex menuing or

"wizards" which bring up varying screens depending on the user's responses

to questions. Since users are now expected to be looking at the pump screen

or that of a connected meter, the easily found buttons are disappearing,

and the manufacturers no longer see any need for keypad beeps, so those

have all been removed.

      These changes pose a considerable challenge for those of us who are

blind or visually impaired because we have lost significant access to

information and functions provided by the pump. As a totally blind pump

user, I will begin my review by explaining what I can and cannot do with

the Cozmo 1800, which I am still using.

Things I can do very easily on the Cozmo pump:

         . Change batteries

         . Fill and change cartridge

         . Change and prime tubing

         . Change and monitor cannulas (Cleo 90)

         . Verify that button presses succeeded because of keypad beeps

         . Keep track of where I am in the menus

         . Get myself out of the menus

         . Use "touch" bolus, programmed in grams of carbs

         . Enter BG (blood glucose) reading manually in correction bolus

           screen

         . Deliver correction bolus

         . Set up and deliver meal bolus on bolus screen

         . Set up and deliver combination bolus

         . Set up and deliver extended bolus

         . Set up and use temporary basal rates

         . Change time and date settings

         . Silence alarms

         . Stop pump

Things I can do very carefully or with a bit of verification by a sighted

person:

         . Change basal rates

         . Restart pump after it has been stopped

         . Change or add new insulin/carb ratios

Things requiring initial assistance that helped:

         . Customize menus, removing items I could not use

         . Some initial pump setup was faster with assistance

Things I can do easily on the computer with CoZmanager software:

         . Send complete pump settings to a new pump

         . Verify anything changed in the pump itself

         . Access and change all pump settings and configuration:

           time/date, insulin sensitivity and duration, target BG, alarms,

           and more.

         . Change or add basal patterns

         . Set up temporary basal profiles

      For me one of the most important benefits of using an insulin pump is

taking advantage of the "insulin on board" feature, especially when

correcting for high blood glucose readings. Here's a description of how I

do this on the Cozmo:

      I've programmed a target BG level into my pump at 100. Let's say I do

a finger stick, and my reading is 180. In the Cozmo I'd do the following:

hit the next button once to wake up the pump and hit it again to get into

the menus. Hit down-arrow once for the correction bolus screen and press

next to select it. The screen shows 100, and I must hit the up-arrow until

I reach 180. So I'm listening for the keypad beeps as I count to 80.

      Then I hit next to continue. At this point the screen displays either

how much insulin I need or how much is being subtracted if I still have

insulin remaining in my system from a previous bolus. I can't read this

display, but if I hit the up-arrow and hear no beep, it means that the pump

doesn't think I need any more insulin. I hit "next" again, and here I can

override the pump if I choose by hitting the up-arrow till I've added the

amount I want. I then hit next again to finish. This feature would not be

available to me at all without the keypad beeps as feedback during the

process.

      On the Cozmo being able to separate the correction bolus from the

meal bolus means less opportunity to forget which screen I'm on. No pump

currently on the market comes with software which allows the user to

program the pump from the computer using a screen reader.

Asante Snap Pump Review:

         . Easy cartridge loading: This pump uses pre-filled cartridges

           that just snap into the pump; this eliminates any worry about

           air bubbles.

         . No priming necessary

         . Battery is part of the cartridge which is replaced

         . It uses proprietary cannulas which required a bit of trickery to

           figure out the orientation before inserting.

         . Button pushes involve pressing a button on one end of the pump

           and confirming by pressing a button on another end, so often

           requiring two hands

         . An easy bolus can be set up, but it is way down in the menus;

           doing this means that we'd give up other features.

         . Items that one might want to ask a sighted person to review,

           such as amount left in cartridge or insulin on board, are way

           down in menus.

         . No keypad beeps

         . Button pushes are fairly steady but mistakes could happen

           without feedback; these mistakes happen because pressing a

           button too hard can cause the pump to scroll, and sometimes

           button presses just don't take.

      Some studies were begun to develop speech output for this pump.

Unfortunately Asante has gone out of business as of May 15, 2015, and this

pump is no longer available. Customers are being referred to Animas.

Medtronic MiniMed 530G Review:

      This pump comes with an integrated continuous glucose monitor and

connects through Bluetooth to the Bayer Contour meter. During my demo it

was difficult to get the representative to discuss any method of doing

anything that didn't involve making use of the remote features.

      .     Batteries easy to change

      .     Cartridge easy to change

      .     Priming easy

      .     All cannulas proprietary and I found them more challenging to

insert

      .     Home screen button for getting out of menus

      .     No easy bolus button on side or edge of pump

         . Easy bolus wizard still requires a lot of button pushes and pump

           taken out of hiding place

      .     No keypad beeps

         . No way to enter correction bolus without going through wizard

           which includes meal bolus; this means extra steps to answer yes

           or no; just more opportunity to lose one's place

         . Easy to have someone read insulin remaining in cartridge;

           insulin on board is better than it used to be but still buried a

           bit

      .     Can run temporary basal but tricky to change regular basal

rates

      .     Could not figure out how to enter BG reading manually

      .     Could not figure out how to set up combo or extended bolus

         . Stopping the pump was reasonably easy, although this is

           connected with the CGM based on programmed readings

         . Different sounds for low and high CGM alarms but no way to read

           CGM output or interpret other alarms from predictive alerts

         . Pump cannot be used with the Dexcom Share app because it is a

           different model of CGM

         . Computer software only designed to send information from pump to

           healthcare team

      Unfortunately the rep was so intent on telling me what was wrong with

all of the other pumps that it was difficult to get some questions

answered. The rep could not seem to grasp that simply using the

accompanying meter and sending a blood glucose reading to the pump was not

acceptable because we still need to know what our readings are.

Animas Vibe and Ping Review:

      The Animas Vibe includes the Dexcom G4 continuous glucose monitor

while the Ping includes a meter which serves as a remote. The meter is not

accessible although those who can work with a high-contrast device may find

the Animas to be a satisfactory choice.

         . Batteries easy to change

         . Cartridges easy to change

         . Priming easy

         . Cannulas and tubing: uses any luer lock sets

         . No keypad beeps except when using "audio bolus" button

         . Easy-to-feel bolus button on the end of the pump; can deliver in

           units of insulin, not in grams of carbs

         . Most actions require more confirmation steps than they do on

           many other pumps

         . Would be able to enter BG manually if one could verify by keypad

           beeps; as it is, pressing button a bit too hard can cause

           scrolling which would lead to errors

         . Had trouble figuring out combo and extended boluses

         . Did not get to try to enter basal patterns.

         . Custom sounds can be used for some alarms, but not critical ones

           like low battery or cartridge.

         . Pressing up- or down-arrow several times will eventually arrive

           at the top or bottom of a menu because menu does not wrap.

         . Information could be quickly read by a sighted person if

           desired.

         . Pump includes CalorieKing database, but it's not accessible.

         . The Vibe has a button on top which when pressed shows the output

           from the Dexcom; handy if there's someone else around to read

           it; cannot use Vibe with Dexcom SHARE.

Insulet OmniPod Review:

      This pump has no tubing. Insulin is stored in the "pod," and

communication occurs with a remote. Because insulin is stored in the pod,

not in the main pump, this pump is not currently covered by Medicare.

      The remote contains a FreeStyle meter which is not accessible. Both

the pods and the remote have gotten smaller since this pump first came on

the market.

         . Pods very easy to insert

         . Filling pod takes a bit of creativity if you don't fill

           completely. For instance, if you don't use 200 units of insulin

           in three days

         . ID screen can be daunting: To turn on pump, press "on" then one

           must press "yes." However, this is either the left or right soft

           button, and there's no way for user to know which it is for any

           given session.

         . Also requires many button presses to confirm actions. "Yes" and

           "no" are not always consistently assigned to predictable soft

           buttons.

         . Home button always takes user out of menus.

         . No quick or easy bolus option; must go through wizard.

         . No keypad beeps

         . Can enter BG reading manually but no feedback from keypad beeps;

           buttons don't tend to scroll so easily.

         . More identical-sounding alarms such as out of range of pod,

           malfunctioning pod, etc.

         . Must go very deep into menus if asking sighted person to read

           information.

         . OmniPod plans to incorporate a Dexcom CGM in the future.

         . Unfortunately, beginning with its next model, the OmniPod will

           be another touchscreen pump.

Tandem T:slim Review:

      This is a touchscreen pump. Unfortunately the icons on the screen do

not land in the same area for each page so a usable template could not be

created to aid in locating items.

      .     Battery charges by connecting to USB for fifteen minutes a day.

      .     Cartridge very different from other pumps but fillable.

      .     Priming takes longer but is doable.

      .     Cannulas: can use standard luer lock sets; bought patents from

Smiths Medical.

      .     Very nice low-pitched confirmation and keypad beeps.

      .     Easy quick bolus button on edge of pump; bolus in units of

insulin

      .     Screen bright with good contrast

      .     Turning on pump depends on tricky timing and pressing a

sequence of buttons.

      .     Almost all features show varying screens after user answers

question.

      .     Could not independently perform any actions on pump.

      .     Plans to incorporate Dexcom CGM in future model

Roche Accu-Chek Spirit Review:

      The pump can be controlled on the unit itself or via a remote.

      .     Battery changing: easy

      .     Cartridge very standard

      .     Priming easy

      .     Cannulas: uses standard luer lock sets

      .     Unit has keypad beeps and audio feedback for completion of

actions

      .     Only most basic functions can be performed from pump.

      .     Can set temporary basals easily

      .     Can change regular basal rates with some difficulty

      .     All smart features require remote.

      .     Remote has no keypad beeps.

         . Remote relies on "wizards" to guide user through questions;

           almost impossible to memorize functions or patterns

      .     Inaccessible meter is included but does not directly

communicate with pump

Dexcom G4 Review:

      The unit itself is not accessible when setting alarm ranges. High and

low alarms do sound different, but alarms such as problems with transmitter

or receiver do not stand out. BG readings appear on the display every five

minutes along with a graph which shows how rapidly the user's BG level is

rising or falling.

      On the unit itself, I could silence an alarm even though I couldn't

identify the cause of some of them. Calibration required concentration but

was possible. Dexcom SHARE no longer requires the user to purchase a

separate receiver. The SHARE app for iDevices and Android allows the Dexcom

display to be seen on the device containing the app. Screenreaders may read

the most recent number, but there is no representation of the graphs. The

Apple Watch is simply considered another external device and does not

behave any differently from an iPhone or iPad.

      I found the CGM felt like a lot of work for someone who does not have

hypoglycemia unawareness.

      In conclusion, I have no idea which pump I'd purchase if my Cozmo

reached the end of its life today. I hope that as long as some pumps and

other medical devices still rely on buttons for their operation, companies

can be convinced to return keypad beeps as an option for all users. I

certainly hope that the current fascination with touchscreen devices does

not preclude those who are blind from obtaining the same standard of care

afforded to those who are sighted. But for now, a serious gap remains.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Gabe Vega in his office.]

           Business and Being Blind: One Man's Winning Combination

                               by Gary Wunder

      As we navigate the job market of the second decade of the twenty-

first century, it is clear that small businesses are coming to play an ever-

increasing role in the workforce of our country and that many of us who

once would have worked for someone else will have to create our own

businesses to thrive in this economy. A number of people have speculated

about this change, opining that it is a good thing for blind people because

they believe we will encounter less discrimination in working for ourselves

than in trying to work for someone else. Still others say that the same

kind of discrimination that keeps us from being hired in private- and

public-sector jobs still exists when we go to look for bank loans, try to

network to create business associates and a customer base, and strive to

work with technology which is either inaccessible or at the least

inefficient.

      This article focuses on the former view, and the business we will

highlight is Commtech LLC and its founder and owner-operator, Gabe Vega.

Gabe created his company in 2008. But before we talk about his business,

let's focus first on the man.

      Gabe was born in 1985, and from the first he was considered

precocious. He graduated from high school at sixteen, went to a community

college to study computer and information science, and at eighteen he

became certified by the A+ program run by CompTIA, the Computing,

Technology, and Industry Association. This means he can build, repair,

install, and troubleshoot hardware. He is also certified in computer

networking, meaning he can implement, design, and repair network computers

in a corporate environment.

      Though he finished with honors, getting a job was difficult. "I found

that the attitude was that disabled people were less valuable than others.

No matter what I said, no matter what I could show on paper, no matter what

I could demonstrate, I never felt as though I was being treated as a first-

class citizen." Beyond the issue of poor attitudes, Gabe realized he was

living in a part of California rich with computer talent. At nineteen he

decided to move to Phoenix and soon found a job working for the state of

Arizona. He was a technical support specialist, a job in which he provided

both remote and in-person repair. "It was a very rewarding job for one so

young. I had a decent salary, got the opportunity to travel throughout the

state, and was able to work with both state and federal computer systems."

He loved the technical challenges, loved exercising the analytical skills

required to diagnose problems, and enjoyed the feeling that came with

making the systems perform as expected. Of no small benefit were the

learning and confidence that came from each success he could claim as his

own.

      But not all was rosy when it came to feelings about his job. He was

feeling stressed and eventually realized that it was not the technical

demands of the job but the interaction with fellow employees that was the

source of his discomfort. "I found that I have no patience with office

politics. I can follow directions as well as the next person, but I can't

go in multiple directions at the same time. I would get one directive one

day, a different one the next, and six different demands on the day

following. I kept asking myself why I was putting myself through this. I

concluded that I was too good at what I did to let stress get the better of

me and that there must be a way to do what I enjoyed and was good at

without suffering the slings and arrows of those who were intent on power

games and turf battles."

      To his surprise and relief, Gabe found that as a vendor/contractor he

could do the same work that he was doing as an employee of the state.

"There was no going to the office, no office politics, just doing the work

I loved and thrived on completing."

      Being an independent contractor meant that it was in Gabe's best

interests for him to get the simplest form of business incorporation, and

he became incorporated as DBA (doing business as). With his own small

business, he did the same technical work he was doing before and avoided

the turf wars and office politics that had for some time been the major

source of his stress.

      Starting in 2005, things went well. Income was up tenfold, stress was

down to an acceptable level, and Gabe felt as though he had found the ideal

job. But with the downturn in 2008, many of the state and federal customers

that had relied on him for service found their budgets cut. "When the

bottom fell out in 2008, I found myself scrambling. It was quite a shock.

All of a sudden those four-figure monthly checks began to fall, and I knew

I had to do something in addition to contracting with the state and federal

governments."

      Eventually Gabe decided he had to change his business model. While he

would continue to market his services to large customers, he knew he must

include other groups who could benefit from his expertise and could pay for

it. A change in corporate status was required for him to operate the kind

of business that was taking shape in his head, and incorporating took

considerable time and money that he was hard pressed to find. So too did

finding office space, finding people, and putting in the telephones and

servers required to conduct a nationwide business. In changing its focus to

meet more needs from the private sector, the new business found that some

of its contractors stayed and others left. The same was true with staff-

some easily made the change, while others decided to go elsewhere. The new

business focused less on big state, federal, and corporate customers and

more on business-to-business services, as well as direct service to

consumers.

      For businesses, Commtech USA, which has become his brand name,

provides website development, accessibility consulting, user experience

evaluations, and accessibility checking to ensure Section 508 compliance.

Commtech USA also provides computer network installation and

troubleshooting services for businesses both large and small.

      Despite his success, Gabe confesses blindness is still an issue in

his mind, a fear he must work to overcome. "Sometimes my fear is still

blindness. When I have a meeting with five important people (business

owners, executives, and high-ranking board members), my fear wants to take

control, and I start asking myself, 'Will they take me seriously, and will

I be convincing?' But when that meeting comes the next day and I hit it out

of the ballpark, the gratification I feel from that is wonderful."

      A big part of Commtech USA's business has evolved to serve consumers.

One service is selling and exchanging cellular phones, a process many of us

would consider visual given that most of the phones on the market today do

not talk or have any nonvisual interfaces. Gabe has learned the menus for

the phones he sells, and, by repeating the keystrokes necessary to navigate

menus and choices, he is able to configure the phones, change SIM cards,

and update settings required by the carrier his customer chooses. "Mostly

phones are pretty similar. All of them have a menu key, a settings menu, a

tools menu, and a call log. I rely on my memory, and, on the rare occasions

when that fails me, I can always rely on Google if I know how to ask it the

right question. If in doubt, as a last resort I can ask the customer in

front of me to confirm that I am where I think I am by having him or her

read me the screen."

      Gabe uses a screen reader to set up accounts, accept payments, and

help customers choose plans that best meet their needs. "I don't depend on

sighted people, but I do have them on call for the times when they are

needed. I try to use only tools that are accessible or at least as

accessible as they can be. This is my business, and, though sight is

sometimes indispensable, it is important that I do as much of this work as

I can.

      "You wouldn't believe how gratifying it is to interact with the

sighted public on a day-to-day basis in the consumer market and to know

that they could not care less that you are blind. I tell them I am blind if

we meet in person, and most generally they say, 'Okay, can you do what I

need done?' I tell them yes, and they watch as I help them pay their bill

or set up their phone. They may see me feel around my desk or hear my

computer talk, but what is important to them is that they are the customer,

and I can do what they are paying me to do. Blindness is off the table. To

them the important fact is that money changes hands, and they leave with

what they came to get or to do."

      Whether blind people want to learn about assistive technology or

learn to use office products, Commtech USA has a plan to fit their needs.

For $60 a month a consumer can get training and technical support by

telephone, and, for those times when there is no substitute for vision, the

plan includes three sessions in which a person with sight connects to a

customer's machine, sees what is being displayed, and uses the mouse and

keyboard to perform the inaccessible functions required.

      "I'm an NFB member, and I'm on a number of our listservs to talk

about jobs, rehabilitation, education, and how to train the trainers. I see

the questions being asked: 'Will they hire me? Will they accept me? What

kinds of things can I do if I'm blind?' I think we have to get out of this

state of mind. The things I have accomplished as a blind man have exceeded

my wildest dreams because, after all the questions, all the anxiety, and

all the self-doubt, I just went out there and did it, keeping in mind that

I am Gabe Vega, I am a technician, and, as long as I can do a job that

satisfies my customers, my blindness isn't going to hold me back."

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ann Sywensky with her husband Will, daughter Katie, and son

Ryan]

             How Life Influences the Daughter of a Federationist

                    and What She Tells the World about It

                               by Ann Sywensky

      From the Editor: Ann Sywensky is the mother of two children and the

daughter of Tom Bickford, a well-known Federationist whose convention

presentation during our seventy-fifth year celebration was featured in the

August/September 2015 issue of the Braille Monitor. She credits her father

with teaching her to think as a feminist and as an advocate. Ann is a non-

traditional student pursuing a master's degree in education at Cedar Crest

College in Allentown, Pennsylvania. This paper, written for her class

"Special Education Process, Transition and the Exceptional Child,"

demonstrates what she has learned through her contact with the National

Federation of the Blind and through the example of one of its staunchest

members. Here is what she says:

      For homework this week I was asked to research and find a landmark

special education court case that has informed the public on how to deliver

special education services. Here is my submission:

      The court case I chose is J.M. and H.M. v. Oceanport Board of

Education. This case took place in New Jersey in 2011 with a decision

handed down in 2012. Hank is a child with a disability which renders him

legally blind, even though he has some sight. In 2008, as Hank entered

second grade, his mother and father noticed that he struggled with reading.

The longer he read, the more his eyes bothered him. In addition his fluency

and comprehension decreased the longer he read. The parents approached the

school district and asked them to provide Braille instruction for Hank.

Hank was evaluated by the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually

Impaired (NJCBVI), the agency contracted by the school district to assist

with visually-impaired students. The NJCBVI did not recommend Braille

instruction because they said Hank was better off in the "sighted world."

The school asked the parents why they wanted to "do that to him," as though

teaching him Braille was harmful, or negative.

      Hank's parents continued to request Braille instruction over the

course of the next three school years. They had Hank evaluated by other

experts and presented that data, but the school district still refused.

Finally Hank's parents got assistance from the National Federation of the

Blind (NFB). The NFB helped the family file a due process hearing in 2011.

The hearing lasted nine days in court, but the days were staggered across

seven months. Finally, in 2012 the court declared that the school district

must provide Braille instruction for Hank. They found that the evidence

brought by the family was more research- and data-based than that of the

school district.

      I am disheartened that it took such a long battle for this family to

ensure functional literacy for their son. Having a small amount of sight

does not always mean that the use of that sight is the best way to do

things. With good instruction Hank should be able to read better and faster

with Braille than with print. Educators must take a family's requests

seriously and must look at good data and recommendations to ensure proper

placement and services for blind students. Cane travel instruction and

Braille materials are two very important tools that can be used by people

even if they have some sight. Through the efforts of the NFB, IDEA (The

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) was amended in 1997 to state

that schools must provide Braille instruction and the use of Braille to

blind children.

      Thank you NFB for help with my homework!

                                 ----------

        A Matter of Justice: Our Fight to Obtain Braille Instruction

                               by Holly Miller

      From the Editor: This article appeared in Future Reflections Summer

2012 issue, and describes with more detail the battles between the Miller

family and the school and the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and

Visually Impaired. This was how the article was introduced the first time:

When news of the judge's ruling in the Hank Miller case leaped over the

internet, Federationists applauded across the country. Holly Miller's story

is one of conviction and perseverance. Because his family refused to have

low expectations, Hank Miller will get the chance to live up to his full

potential. You can read the Miller case online or download the judge's 69-

page ruling. However, URLs are subject to frequent changes, and often you

must pay a fee to download a case from a website. To download a free copy

of this case, enter the case name (J.M. and H.M. v. Oceanport Board of

Education) in a Google search box or similar program, then from among the

answers, tap on the link from <www.special-ed-law.com>.

      Holly Miller is a member of the board of the Parents of Blind

Children of New Jersey as well as a member of the NOPBC board. In addition

to Hank and a seventeen-year-old son, Red, she has a greyhound named Louie

who is blind from birth.

      On August 18, 2008, I sent an email to the special services director

of our school district, suggesting that our son, Hank, might need Braille.

Hank was getting ready to enter second grade. I'll admit that at that point

my husband and I weren't 100 percent convinced Braille was the answer for

him, but we saw signs that Hank was having trouble reading print, and we

felt he should be evaluated.

      Hank had enough vision to see large print, but eye fatigue limited

the length of time he was able to read. It was a physical effort for him to

see words on the printed page. The longer he had to read, the less he

understood what he read.

      Two months after I sent our original email, we were granted a

meeting, at which the state-employed teacher of the visually impaired (TVI)

gasped, "I'd hate to do that to him!" By that she meant Braille, of course.

      Undaunted, we pressed for a learning media assessment. The assessment

was done, but the results were not presented to us until February. Even

though the reading stamina portion of the evaluation was left blank, we

were told that Braille was not appropriate for our son.

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) presumes Braille to

be the primary reading method for legally blind students. Yet, although

Hank is legally blind, we were forced to prove that Braille was appropriate

for him.

      Over the following months, we sent countless emails and letters and

attended one meeting after another. We prepared for each meeting carefully,

bringing articles and advocates. We secured an attorney. We switched

attorneys. Evaluations were done by both sides.

The school personnel and the professionals at the New Jersey Commission for

the Blind and Visually Impaired (NJCBVI) were immovable. Nothing we did,

said, or presented swayed their firmly made-up minds. They told us that

Hank was a sighted reader, that he was better off as part of the sighted

world. They insisted that Hank's wonderful approach to learning would be

thwarted if we forced him to learn Braille. "Why would you want to make him

more blind?" they demanded. They seemed to believe we were trying to do

something to him instead of for him. We jokingly called it Munchhausen by

Braille-a reference to Munchhausen by proxy, the phenomenon by which

parents deliberately cause their children to become ill.

      As the months-then years-went by, we emphasized repeatedly that our

concern was Hank's inability to handle sustained reading tasks. We were

assured that sustained reading wasn't a problem, even though the district

never tested it. During this time, Hank was kept in the resource room for

reading, five days a week, ninety minutes a day. He spent 25 percent of his

school day in the resource room. When we asked why, we were given a

multitude of reasons, but we were skeptical about all of them. The fact

that Hank's eyes couldn't keep up with the regular classroom workload was

never on the list.

      The testing done by the school district showed that Hank had no

reading disability on a cognitive level. However, when we asked the

district to evaluate his sustained reading, the evaluation never took

place. Our own experts did sustained reading evaluations, and we shared the

results with the NJCBVI. These tests all showed that Hank did very well on

short reading tasks, but when he read for longer periods of time (ten to

twenty minutes), his speed, accuracy, comprehension, and retention fell

significantly. These results clearly illustrated that Hank's vision was the

problem, not his mind.

      Despite our findings, the school district and the NJCBVI still

declared that Braille was inappropriate for Hank. It became apparent that

nothing we could do would change their thinking. The only way Hank would

ever get Braille instruction would be through a court order.

By this time our story had caught the attention of Dr. Marc Maurer,

President of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB). With the might of

the NFB behind us, we filed for due process in June 2011. Our legal team

consisted of Jayne Wesler from Sussan & Greenwald in New Jersey and Sharon

Krevor-Weisbaum and Jessie Weber from Brown, Goldstein & Levy in Baltimore.

The hearing lasted nine days, but those nine days were spread over seven

months. The wheels of justice turn slowly, but turn they did. On May 3,

2012, we received the decision from the administrative law judge. Hank

would receive Braille instruction!

      The judge found our evidence to be more research- and data-based than

that presented by the NJCBVI and that it was supported by evaluations

geared toward Hank's specific disability. She found that both the district

and the NJCBVI had a bias against Braille. "The comment that H.M. has to

stay in a sighted world shows a bias against Braille because it infers that

Braille is a lesser medium than the technology that she recommends," the

judge said in her ruling. "H.M. is a legally blind student who has

functional vision. He can live in the sighted world, learning and using

Braille as an alternative reading tool, along with assistive technology. It

is more logical that doing so will enhance his learning rather than thwart

it."

      The ruling ordered that Hank receive Braille instruction ninety

minutes per day, five days a week. This is very important, because studies

show that frequent and intense Braille instruction is critical for a

student to master the code. Hank will also receive three years of

compensatory education. This will take the form of summer instruction,

including attendance at the Buddy Program at the Louisiana Center for the

Blind.

      On July 10, 2012, nearly four years after we made our initial request

for Braille, Hank had his first official Braille lesson. We cannot wait to

see how his reading takes off from here. He is such a smart, inquisitive

boy, and it was terrible to watch him avoid reading because it hurt his

eyes.

      We cannot begin to express how deeply thankful we are to everyone

involved in Hank's case. Even though we knew we were right, we did not have

the resources to prove it on our own. Without the NFB behind us, Hank never

would have gotten Braille instruction. It is our greatest hope that other

families can use our case as an example with their schools, avoiding the

need to bring legal action.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Dan Hicks]

                               Driving a Nail

                               by Dan J. Hicks

      From the Editor: Dan Hicks is the immediate past president of the

National Federation of the Blind of Florida, and he and his wife Gloria

have long been strong and articulate Federationists. Here are remarks he

made at the 2016 convention of the National Federation of the Blind of

Florida:

      It has been said that if you give a person a hammer, every job will

look like it needs a nail. It has also been said that ideas are like genes:

they travel from mind to mind, propagating in something like the way genes

travel from generation to generation. Genes that help to make an organism

stronger and able to survive to pass the genes on will be more common,

maybe even prevalent. Ideas which prove beneficial to one mind will be

passed to other minds. Hopefully, good ideas will drive out bad ideas. It

doesn't always happen this way, but when it does, it can benefit everyone,

and real progress can be made. Thus does cultural evolution take place.

      More than thirty years ago, biologist Richard Dawkins used the word

"meme" to refer to an idea which spread from mind to mind in this fashion.

When I was about nine or ten, my father gave my younger brother Dallis and

me each tool kits, complete with kid-size tools, for Christmas. He wanted

us to learn to use and take care of tools, and I think he wanted to make

sure we would keep our hands off his own adult-size tools. In the metal

boxes were screwdrivers, a tape measure, a level, a saw, and a hammer. The

saws were the weakest of the bunch, being small even by our standards.

Neither were they very sharp, fit only for cutting small pieces of the

softest woods. But all of the other tools were quite serviceable.

      Mostly we used the hammers. It was made quite clear that we were not

to use them on each other.

      And, although these hammers were smaller than their full-sized

counterparts, they were far from light, capable of doing real work-and

smashing fingers and thumbs. So, before we were allowed to use the hammers

for the first time, my dad gave us a lesson on how he used one to drive a

nail into a piece of wood.

      We scrounged the field in back of our house for scraps of wood,

debating on just what we might build out of the mismatched pieces we found.

The only thing that I can recall completing was a strange kind of box-which

we used to hold other scraps of wood.

      My dad had always been legally blind, and his vision worsened as he

became an adult. Although Dallis has perfect vision, I have always been

legally blind. My dad possessed a great technique to avoid hitting one's

fingers while driving a nail. This is the technique he showed us: position

the nail where you want it to go. Tap it gently several times with the

hammer to get it started. When you feel the nail is in far enough to stand

on its own for a moment, take your hand away and give it a good whack with

the hammer-just one. Feel the nail with your fingers to make sure it is

going in straight, and give it another tap. This will reorient the head of

the hammer with the head of the nail. Take your fingers away and give the

nail another good whack!

      Repeat these last couple of steps until the nail is just about in.

You can finish with a few hard whacks once you are sure the nail will end

up exactly as you intended, but for most of the nail pounding, your motions

will be an alternating tap whack, tap whack, tap whack!

      I have always done it this way. It works well if you have no vision,

low vision, or very good vision. I have shown this method to sighted

friends and found them instantly adopting it as their default method of

driving a nail. One guy told me his buddy looked at him strangely once when

he was using it, and he explained that he has never hit his thumb with the

hammer since he started using the hammer that way. His friend was convinced

and immediately adopted the technique. So the meme has spread.

      Still, I know there are other methods of driving a nail, and they

must work for those who use them. Whatever works is best for each tool

user.

     My wife and I recently moved from a residential area where, on just

about every block, houses had been torn down, and new, larger, more

expensive homes were being built in their place. It gets hot here in

Florida. Builders often start work quite early in the day.

      On many mornings as I walked to the bus stop, I would pass by

construction sites where workers would be hammering. I would listen to

them. Often I heard the crack of nail guns or the steady bang-bang-bang of

nails being pounded in with steady, equal strokes. But, on more than a

couple of occasions, I would hear what sounded like tap whack, tap whack,

tap whack.

      I wonder-did the person hammering in such a way pick up that meme

from someone who picked it up from someone, who picked it up from someone

... who picked it up from my dad, or was it from someone who taught the

technique to my dad? Did that particular carpenter happen to come up with

the technique on his own? It's not a particularly radical idea. I could see

it being invented many times over by people who don't like the feel of hard

steel impacting their fingers and thumbs.

      Or could it just be the sound of two workers who happen to have their

pounding oddly synchronized, one of them hitting the nail much harder than

the other? I prefer the other possibilities.

      My dad is now totally blind and doing more woodworking than ever

before, usually by himself. When I have visited my parents, I have been

astounded and impressed by the quality of the workmanship in some of the

pieces he has completed.

      He says he can't imagine hammering a nail any other way than that

which he showed my brother and me more than forty years ago. I can't

imagine doing it any other way either.

                                 ----------

                             Long-Term Training

                            by Danny R. Robinson

      From the Editor: Danny Robinson lives in Oklahoma and has recently

taken advantage of the push to get blind people in Oklahoma to embrace

intensive training in the skills of blindness. What makes this article so

compelling is his honesty. Before training he thought he understood

blindness, reconciling himself to limitations he thought reasonable for a

person without sight. To his credit, when offered a different perspective,

he did not get defensive, did not tell those trying to help him that he had

been blind long enough that he already knew everything significant there

was to know about it. No, he listened to what they said and was brave

enough and sufficiently excited to see if what he was being told could

change his life. He risked to touch a dream, gave the time it required, and

now has quite a story to tell. Here it is:

      I would like to start this by thanking Mr. Doug Boone for allowing me

the opportunity to make the choice to go to the Louisiana Center for the

Blind in Ruston, Louisiana (LCB). I was certainly apprehensive about making

the decision to leave my wife, children, and the many duties on the farm. I

was also concerned about leaving a newly acquired position in the agency.

While I knew the day-to-day operations would continue without me, I

wondered if any of the ideas I had about change would truly be effective.

It wasn't until later that I would realize that I had just begun to think

about a term that Mr. Boone introduced me to called "possibility thinking."

      The Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services supports

participants in programs called long-term training; I would argue that the

name or phrase should be "skills for the long term." The skills and

abilities that I worked on during my thirty-day experience there could not

have been gained and were not mastered in the previous sixteen years of my

acquired blindness. One of the reasons for this was because the skill of

independent travel by way of structured discovery was not offered in my

area. Honestly I was too busy focusing on work, family, and other

distractions to have learned it anyway. To me this is the beauty of being

able to go away to learn without having to worry about outside factors;

that is certainly not to say I was able to turn off my concern for what was

happening while I was gone: it just was not right in front of me to stumble

over.

      Another of those skills that I was able to really work on in a short

period of time was the acquisition of Braille skills. While I know I did

not come out as a proficient reader of Braille, I can certainly now read a

basic book or letter.

      The experience that I had personally-and please understand that I am

not saying this is true for everyone-showed me that the majority of the

barriers that I faced both personally and professionally were placed upon

me by none other than myself! I began to see that these barriers existed

due to my lack of skills to operate independently and to use what already

existed physically. What do I mean by this: I would not travel

independently using all the transportation available to me: bus, train,

plane, and other ways. I would not use these without having either my wife

or a driver to take me. When someone asked if I had a pocket knife, I used

to joke that my wife would not let me play with sharp objects. Honestly it

was my fear of cutting myself that caused me not to have one. It is truly

these small things that determine our level of independence, and without

gaining the skills that I did during my time there, I would still be locked

in the warp of thinking I was independent, not knowing there could be more.

      I can honestly say that it was not until my second week of training

that I began to see what the term "possibility thinking" was all about. I

began to understand that travel, Braille, and independent living skills

were based in problem solving and thinking ahead about what could happen if

I learned to use the techniques being imparted to me by the staff. I

personally was too afraid and frustrated at times to figure this out in the

first week. By the third week I was traveling most places under sleep

shades by myself without the staff having to look over my shoulder. I was

so proud of my accomplishment in this area that I made a special effort to

travel to and from the stores by myself. I can say that the feeling of

empowerment is almost unexplainable to anyone who has not faced all of the

fears of blindness internally and those fears placed upon us by others.

      Most people want to keep a blind person safe, so they tend to remove

all of the responsibilities that might involve something considered

dangerous or a task that they would not consider blind-friendly. The tasks

I did in my life prior to training were those that society believes a blind

person could do. I would add that I have been amazed through the years by

how many professionals I have worked with who always ask "What can a blind

person do?" I would have to step back and laugh because I thought I was

actually being an example.

      Today I have the privilege of saying that I am as independent as I

want to be, not limited by the lack of skills and the limited perception of

my abilities, but by the choices I make to learn as I go. I choose when I

want to go somewhere, not allowing the lack of skills to hold me back. I

thought my life was over when I gave up the keys to my car; now I realize

that you can take my keys, but you cannot take my skills away. Please let

my experience and my life speak to you about what it is to wake up to the

idea of "possibility thinking" and go to bed knowing that you are doing

everything you can to make it your reality.

      I would like to leave everyone with a short poem I wrote years ago

for a class in my undergraduate program, not knowing then what it would

mean to me now:

Lonesome, like blind, is a mere state of mind,

You are lonesome if you choose to be,

You are blind if you choose not to see,

If you open your mind, you could never be blind

And lonesome you will never be.

      I can confidently say that I will never be lonesome because I belong

to an awesome family at the Louisiana Center for the Blind and the Oklahoma

Department of Rehabilitation Services because I chose to open my mind.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO CAPTION: Julie Deden]

             A Thank You for What You Are Giving to Our Grandson

                              by LaVonne Butler

      From the Editor: The work we do at NFB training centers is, to say

the least, transformative. Here is a letter from a grateful grandparent

that speaks to what contact with positive blind people can do in the life

of a young person trying to find his way. Julie Deden is the executive

director of the Colorado Center for the Blind, and it is to her that this

thanks is directed:

March 1, 2016

Julie Deden

Colorado Center for the Blind

Dear Julie:

John and I came to Littleton this past weekend to visit Alex. We were so

very pleased. There is an expression about watching your prayers be

answered, and we felt like we were doing that in the time we had with him!

He is happy, confident, and more content then we have ever seen him. His

friend Shelby came to lunch with us Saturday, and it was so delightful

listening to them talk of their time there at the center.

      I do not even know where to start sharing it with you. I guess first

was the way they discussed how familiar they were with the area. They

talked about their favorite places to eat. We would say, "How do you get

there?" The answer was the bus or the light rail. They used their canes so

comfortably. There was no reaching for someone to offer support and

direction! I could not believe it when they were talking about being at the

bus stop at 7:00 AM to catch the bus to go to class. When we walked into

the apartment Alex shares with Alex Garcia, we were thrilled with how

spotless it was. Alex was invited to dinner the night we were there and

invited to a friend's place for a card game. He seems quite social and

confident. They discussed their classes. They talked enthusiastically about

skiing. Shelby had a fantastic video someone had taken of her skiing, and

it was put to music. Alex says he loved skiing. He discussed his math tutor

and how surprised he had been to find out he really liked math. She has

volunteered to be available to him when he goes to school by Skyping.

      During one conversation we were having with Alex, he mentioned that

actually he found that he was quite charismatic. He is, and it is nice he

is developing in a way to be aware of it.

      I want to compliment you Julie on how comfortable he feels with your

open door policy. A couple of times he mentioned that if he needs to, he

can walk in and see Julie. He feels secure that he is welcome to come in

and speak to you about any issue he is dealing with. But, most importantly,

he knows that you care sincerely!

      I feel I am not adequately putting into words the sincere feelings of

appreciation and happiness for all you have done to help not just Alex but

all of these individuals who have come to your center for training. One

memory I will always carry with me is the happy, excited faces of Alex and

Shelby as they shared with us the adventures they were having at the

center. They were alive, they were living their life, and they felt

confident this was just the first step toward the independent, fulfilled

future that is waiting for them.

      Julie, please accept my sincere and deepest appreciation for what you

and the center are doing!

Blessings,

LaVonne L. Butler

                                 ----------

          Amazon, Blind Federation Reach Agreement on Accessibility

                               by Mark Sherman

      From the Editor: This article first appeared in Special Education

Today on March 8, 2016. It is gratefully reproduced with the permission of

the publisher.

      For several years, the National Federation of the Blind has been on

Amazon's case for e-books and e-book distribution systems that are not

fully accessible. In 2013, for example, it wrote to state education

departments, saying, "The inaccessibility of Kindle e-books will grossly

inhibit blind and print-disabled students from attaining the goals set

forth in the Common Core State Standards. Moreover, school districts in

your state that introduce Kindle e-books into the curriculum will, as

explained below, be violating federal law." Likewise, NFB protested last

year when the New York City Education Department was considering entering

into a contract with Amazon.

      "Amazon's lack of regard for accessibility when creating Kindle e-

book content would leave blind students and teachers far behind their

sighted peers if NYC DOE chooses to proceed with the proposed contract with

Amazon," it said in a letter dated Aug. 13. On March 2, however, NFB

announced an agreement under which it would help the company avoid such

problems going forward.

      "Amazon and the National Federation of the Blind will collaborate on

improvements to Amazon's education content, platforms, and applications,

and will meet on an ongoing basis to review progress and exchange ideas and

feedback," it said. "Initial results of this collaboration are expected

this year and beyond."

      Amazon welcomes the agreement, according to spokeswoman Stephany

Rochon. "We are seeing more educational institutions embrace digital

learning, and this shift provides a great opportunity to improve

accessibility for blind students," she said in an email. "We look forward

to collaborating with the National Federation of the Blind to work together

on Amazon's education content, platforms, and applications for the blind."

Rochon did not discuss the contract with New York City except to say, "We

look forward to working closely with NYC DOE to serve the educational needs

of all their students."

                                 ----------

              The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

                               by Allen Harris

      From the Editor: Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan

Fund Committee and was one of the people who came up with the idea of

honoring our former president and longtime leader by establishing a program

to promote attendance at the national convention, where so much inspiration

and learning occur. Here is Allen's announcement about the 2016 Kenneth

Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Program:

      Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual convention but have

not done so because of the lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention

Scholarship Fund invites you to make an application for a scholarship

grant. Perhaps this July you too can be in the Rosen Centre Hotel in

Orlando, Florida, enjoying the many pleasures and learning opportunities at

the largest and most important yearly convention of blind people in the

world.

      The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending an

NFB national convention are the roundtrip transportation, the hotel room

for a week, and the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home). We

attempt to award additional funds to families, but, whether a family or an

individual is granted a scholarship, this fund can only help; it won't pay

all the costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in the range of $400

to $500 per individual.

      We recommend that you find an NFB member as your personal convention

mentor, someone who has been to many national conventions and is able to

share money-saving tips with you and tips on navigating the extensive

agenda in the big hotel. Your mentor will help you get the most out of the

amazing experience that is convention week.

      Who is eligible?

      Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an

NFB national convention because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

      How do I apply for funding assistance?

      1. You write a letter giving your contact information, and your local

NFB information, your specific amount requested, and then explain why this

is a good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed below.

      2. You contact your state president in person or by phone to request

his or her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when to

expect your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.

      3. You (or a friend) send your letter by email to your state

president. He or she must add a president's recommendation and then email

both letters directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

Committee. Your president must forward the two letters no later than April

15, 2016.

      Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:

.Your full name, and all your telephone numbers and label them-cell phone,

home, office, other person (if any).

.Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address.

.Your state affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter

president, if you attend a chapter.

.Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's phone number.

.Your specific request:

      Explain how much money you need from this fund to make this trip

possible for you. We suggest you consult with other members to make a rough

budget for yourself.

      The body of your letter should answer these questions:

      How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do you want

to attend a national convention? What would you receive; what can you share

or give? You can include in your letter to the committee any special

circumstances you hope they will take into consideration.

      When will I be notified that I am a winner?

      If you are chosen to receive this scholarship, you will receive a

letter with convention details that should answer most of your questions.

The committee makes every effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15,

but you must do several things before that to be prepared to attend if you

are chosen.

      1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from

attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for

roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)

      2. Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet,

by May 31. (Note:  This is not refundable if you do not attend convention.

You may want to register between May 15 and May 30.)

      3. Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who has been to many

conventions and can answer your questions as a friend and advisor.

      4. If you do not hear from the committee by May 15, then you did not

win a grant this year.

      How will I receive my convention scholarship?

      At convention you will be given a debit card or credit card loaded

with the amount of your award. The times and locations to pick up your card

will be listed in the letter we sent you. The committee is not able to

provide funds before the convention, so work with your chapter and state

affiliate to assist you by obtaining an agreement to advance funds if you

win a scholarship and to pay your treasury back after you receive your

debit or credit card.

      What if I have more questions? For additional information email the

chairman, Allen Harris, at <kjscholarships at nfb.org> or call his Baltimore,

Maryland, office at (410) 659-9314, extension 2415.

      Above all, please use this opportunity to attend your first

convention on the national level and join several thousand active

Federationists in the most important meeting of the blind in the world. We

hope to see you in Orlando.

                                 ----------

                                   Recipes

      This month's recipe comes from the National Federation of the Blind

of Alabama, proudly showcasing one of their members who has built his own

business.

[PHOTO CAPTION: Ivan Walker with his mother Minnie]

                      Chef Ivan's Chicken Tetrazzini)

                               by Ivan Walker

      Chef Ivan Walker is a blind chef and owns Southern Fusion Catering in

Mobile, AL. He's also a personal chef, and offers private cooking classes.

Chef Ivan is an active member of NFB's Mobile chapter, a graduate of The

Art Institute of Atlanta, and the Louisiana Center for the Blind.

Ingredients:

1 whole roasted chicken (medium diced)

1 box linguine pasta (chopped)

1 fresh green bell pepper (medium chopped)

1-1/2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 cans cream of mushroom soup

1 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese

3/4 cup parmesan cheese

1 cup French's Crispy Fried Onions

1/2 tbsp. roasted garlic

1 tbsp. Italian seasoning

1 tsp. salt or seasoning salt

      Method: First, sauti green bell pepper for two minutes on medium

heat, then add mushroom and roasted garlic. Continue cooking vegetables on

medium heat, and add Italian seasoning, salt, cream of chicken, cream of

mushroom, and reduce heat to simmer for seven minutes, stirring

occasionally. Add roughly chopped pasta to a large mixing bowl and diced

chicken. Next, carefully pour the sautied pan mixture into the mixing bowl,

being sure to mix thoroughly. Spray a nine-by-thirteen-inch casserole dish

generously with pan spray. Next, spread half the mixture evenly in the

casserole dish and layer half the cheese on top. Repeat until all of the

pasta and cheese is used. Lastly, top the cheese with the French's onions

and parmesan cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for twenty

minutes, then enjoy! Serves four to six.

                                 ----------

                             Monitor Miniatures

      News from the Federation Family

New Federation Book Available:

      The Power of Love, How Kenneth Jernigan Changed the World for the

Blind has been published recently by iUniverse.com and is available in

electronic format and in paperback from several online sellers. Amazon.com,

Barnes&Noble.com, Googlebooks.com, and several less-well-known sellers are

all selling the electronic book for ten dollars or less, and paperbacks for

somewhat more. This book includes twenty-nine chapters written by students

and associates of Dr. Jernigan. It was edited by Ramona Walhof. For those

who knew Dr. Jernigan, it will bring back fond memories. For those who did

not know him, this book will offer insight into his activities and

techniques that were so effective for the blind and for the Federation. Dr.

Jernigan served as President of the Federation from 1968 until 1986 with

only one year interruption in that service, and he enjoyed working with

people in many capacities. Both Federationists and nonmembers have learned

from him directly, from his writings, and from his students and associates.

We urge you to read this book and tell your friends about it. Go ahead and

announce it on social media!

                                  In Brief

      Notices and information in this section may be of interest to Monitor

readers. We are not responsible for the accuracy of the information; we

have edited only for space and clarity.

Vacancy at Oklahoma School for the Blind:

Job Announcement # 16-108    RE-ANNOUNCEMENT OF 16-047

Position Title/Level/Code:   School Superintendent, 1825

Location:              Oklahoma School for the Blind, Muskogee

Number of Positions/PIN:     (1) - Unclassified / 80500604

Annual Salary Range:         $80,600 to $93,600

                       On-campus housing will be provided to the selected

                 candidate.

Beginning Date:        Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Ending Date:                 Open until filled

      Essential Functions: Under administrative direction of the Director

of the Department of Rehabilitation Services, the incumbent plans, directs

and coordinates all program activities at the Oklahoma School for the

Blind. The duties include planning, directing, and coordinating the

educational, recreational, vocational, and residential programs;

developing, preparing and monitoring the annual budget and supervising

professional staff. Previous applicants will need to re-apply.

      Education and Experience Requirements: A master's degree from an

accredited college or university, an Oklahoma School Superintendent

Certificate (or proof of application for an Oklahoma School Superintendent

Certificate) and minimum of four years of experience, of which two years

must have been as a teacher and two years as a school supervisor or

administrator, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.

NOTE: An Oklahoma School Superintendent Provisional or Emergency

Certificate must be obtained prior to employment from the Oklahoma State

Department of Education for those candidates that do not possess an

Oklahoma School Superintendent Certificate.

      Method of Application: Risumis or vitae and an Oklahoma School

Superintendent Certificate (or proof of application for an Oklahoma School

Superintendent Certificate) will be accepted and must include educational

and work background listing places of employment, beginning/ending dates of

employment, and description of duties performed. Please submit references

along with risumi. Information should include a telephone number where you

can be reached during office hours, your mailing address, and the

announcement number and position for which you are applying.

      Send to: Department of Rehabilitation Services, Attn: Human

Resources, 3535 NW 58th Street, Suite 500, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73112.

      If you have any questions regarding this position or  the  application

process, contact Calvin Small at (405) 951-3527 or Stephanie  Roe  at  (405)

951-3454.

                        An Equal Opportunity Employer

The Hadley School for the Blind Gets a New Name:

      To better reflect the diversity of students it serves and how it has

evolved over the years, The Hadley School for the Blind announces that it

has changed its name to Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually

Impaired. Founded in 1920, Hadley remains the largest provider of distance

education for people who are blind and visually impaired worldwide.

      "Nearly a century after our founding, Hadley serves a broad spectrum

of individuals with vision loss, including those with low vision. Although

we will always support people who are blind, there is an ever-growing

population of older adults experiencing age-related vision loss who may

never become fully blind. As part of our evolution, we are expanding our

programs and services to meet their needs," said Hadley President Chuck

Young.

      The name change also better informs the public that Hadley's programs

and services are geared to individuals ages fourteen and up.

      "The word 'school' implies a brick-and-mortar facility for young

children, whereas the word 'institute' speaks to education, but defies

space and place. The term 'institute' is broader and more appropriate for a

distance education organization serving 10,000 students in more than 100

countries," said Hadley Board of Trustees Chair Dewey Crawford.

      The term "institute" also provides an umbrella with which to discuss

the many programs and services Hadley offers and the many audiences Hadley

serves: people who have long been visually impaired and those new to sight

loss, families of persons of all ages with varying degrees of vision loss,

and blindness service providers.

      In tandem with the name change, a catchy new tagline, "Educating-for

life," will be used to highlight Hadley's mission to promote independent

living through lifelong learning, as well as its dedication to educating

students on life skills and helping them reach their full potential.

      "We love the double meaning in this tagline," adds Young. "It

concisely says what we do and why we do it."

      A more contemporary logo was developed, as well, to illustrate how

Hadley has changed, while remaining true to its roots. The graphic

represents the Braille letter h, honoring Hadley's longstanding commitment

to Braille excellence. The graphic also is reminiscent of stained glass in

prairie architecture, a homage to the North Shore of Chicago, where

Hadley's offices are located.

      "As we approach our Centennial in 2020, we want everyone to know just

how far we have come," says Crawford. "It's indeed a brand new day at

Hadley."

      To learn more, visit <www.hadley.edu/rebrand>. See updates to

Hadley's website at <www.hadley.edu>.

International Group for Parents, Teachers, and Others Interested in the

Blind:

Adrijana Prokopenko writes to say: I recently created a Facebook group for

teachers and parents of blind children and for university students who are

studying to become teachers of the blind, as well as professors,

psychologists, counselors, doctors, volunteers, or anyone else who is

connected to them in some way. They should feel free to join no matter if

they are blind or sighted. The group can be found by searching "Students,

teachers, and parents of the visually impaired."

New State Resource Handbooks Available:

      I have created twelve screen-reader-friendly resource handbooks

containing resources pertaining to the blind and visually impaired for use

by consumers and professionals. This handbook is for the residents of

specific states and includes the many organizations for the blind and

visually impaired covering areas such as employment, housing,

transportation, and more. Currently the handbooks are for Alabama, Alaska,

Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, New York, Texas, Oregon,

Ohio, and Illinois.

      The handbooks include contact information on the local, regional, and

national level. For more information on pricing and formats please contact

Insightful Publications by email at <insightfulpub at gmail.com>, by phone at

(808) 747-1006, or by visiting <http://www.in-sightful.com/orderpage.html>

for more information on pricing, formats available, and state resource

handbook order form.

                                 NFB Pledge

      I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for

the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to

abide by its constitution.