[NFBMV] Chapter Constitution Updates

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 18:10:49 UTC 2017

Hello:

Sorry this has taken me so long to complete. In January, the chapter
voted to change the elections to October, with two-year terms beginning
on January first for the President, Vice-President, Secretary and
Treasurer.  It was not clear, however, if this is to apply to the
at-large board member as well.  If so, then we will need to bring that
part up to the body as it would involve changing another section of the
constitution.  For now, I wish to share with you both the original
section where the change was to be made then the section after the change.

Original Section

               ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES

      There shall be elected at the regular December meeting each year,
a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer.  The terms
of these officers shall begin the following January 1.  Officers shall
be elected by a majority vote of the members who are present and voting.
  There shall be no proxy voting.  If no nominee receives a majority
vote on the first ballot, the name of the person receiving the fewest
votes shall be dropped from the list of nominees, and a second ballot
shall be taken.  This procedure shall continue until one of the nominees
has received a majority vote from the members present and voting.  The
duties of each officer shall be those ordinarily associated with that
office.  The President and the Vice President must be blind.

OK, now the section as amended:

               ARTICLE IV. OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES

      There shall be elected at the regular October meeting each year, a
President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer for two-year
terms.  The terms of these officers shall begin the following January 1.
  Officers shall be elected by a majority vote of the members who are
present and voting.  There shall be no proxy voting.  If no nominee
receives a majority vote on the first ballot, the name of the person
receiving the fewest votes shall be dropped from the list of nominees,
and a second ballot shall be taken.  This procedure shall continue until
one of the nominees has received a majority vote from the members
present and voting.  The duties of each officer shall be those
ordinarily associated with that office.  The President and the Vice
President must be blind.

Technically, we're supposed to circulate a written amendment before the
vote, but let's just try to get everyone to agree to this as written and
once I feel like most people have agreed, I'll forward the updated
constitution to Shelby Hindle.  If you guys do want to change the
at-large board member's term to be two years instead of one, then this
section would need to be amended:

                  ARTICLE V. BOARD OF DIRECTORS

      The Board of Directors of this organization shall consist of the
four (4) constitutional officers, and one additional member, elected for
a one-year term at the same time as the officers.  The at-large member
shall be elected in the same manner as that prescribed for the election
of officers.  The Board shall meet at the call of the President or on
written call signed by any three
(3) of the Board Members.  The Board shall advise the President and
shall have charge of the affairs of the organization between meetings.
At least three (3) members of the Board must be present at any meeting
to constitute a quorum to transact business.  The Board may be polled by
telephone or mail ballot on any question.  A majority of the Board must
be blind.

As you can see, the term length would need to be updated in the
paragraph above.

I like that we made these changes because the document did not specify
the term length before.  I've also attached the document in case anyone
wishes to review it; this would be a good time to discuss any potential
changes.

Let me know what you all think!

Robby
Robert Spangler
Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of
the Miami Valley