[NFBMV] Flying Pig named best marathon in U.S. - Cincinnati Business Courier

Carolyn Peters dr.carolyn.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 17:23:26 UTC 2020

https://www.bizjournals.com/

Flying Pig named best marathon in U.S.
Hannah McCartney
Jan 8, 2020, 5:11am EST

VIEW SLIDESHOW
41 photos

Cincinnati's own Flying Pig Marathon has been ranked the No. 1 marathon in the country.

BibRave.com, an online running community that connects runners with race events, has named the Flying Pig the top marathon in America as part of its BibRave 100 list, which ranks the most popular races by a public vote among runners across the U.S.

In the full marathon division, Flying Pig took home the gold. BibRave runners gave the volunteers with Flying Pig props for their extreme attention to detail, for one.

"They have volunteers just to take pictures of you with your own camera at the top of the hardest hill that gets you the best view. Who does that?" one voter wrote.

The Flying Pig was recognized on three other BibRave lists for its commitment to sustainability, "pig" theme and overall experience. Ninety-eight percent of BibRave reviewers recommended the race.

Following the Flying Pig in the full marathon rankings were:

The Missoula Marathon in Missoula, Mont.Tth
The Walt Disney World Marathon in Orlando
The Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C.
The Boston Marathon.
“We are honored to be in such prestigious company with Disney, Marine Corps and Boston marathons,” Iris Simpson Bush, Flying Pig executive director, said in a release. “We work very hard to make sure our participants enjoy the weekend, from the P&G Health and Fitness Expo to the Finish Swine. We thank BibRave and all the participants for choosing us number one.”

Operated by the nonprofit Cincinnati Marathon Inc., the Flying Pig Marathon has an estimated annual local impact of $14 million and helps raise more than $1.4 million for more than 300 local charities. It set a record last year when it brought 43,691 runners from across the country for its full marathon, half marathon and relay, which also included its largest-ever international field of participants. The weekend of festivities also includes the Cincinnati Flying Pig Expo & Trade show, the largest convention in the region, which draws about 75,000 participants to the Duke Energy Convention Center every year.

The 22nd Flying Pig Marathon will be held May 1-3.

Sent from my iPhone