[Nfbn-announce] National Federation of the Blind and Penn State Resolve Accessibility Complaint

Amy Buresh amy.buresh74 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 00:42:39 UTC 2011

For Immediate Release

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

 <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind and Penn State
Resolve Accessibility Complaint

Baltimore, Maryland (October 11, 2011): The  <http://www.nfb.org/> National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) and  <http://www.equity.psu.edu/ods/> The
Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) announced today that they have
reached an agreement that will resolve a complaint filed against Penn State
by the NFB with the United States Department of Education, Office for Civil
Rights.  There was no admission of any wrongdoing.

Penn State has agreed to continue implementing a strategy to make all
electronic and information technology systems used on its campuses fully
accessible to blind students, faculty, and staff.  The information
technology systems covered include course management systems, Web sites,
classroom technology, library resources, banking services, and more.
University Spokesman Lisa Powers said that Penn State strives to maintain
strong academic leadership and has a long record of providing equal access
to educational information and services for all students, faculty, and
staff.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"Universities must commit to making sure all of the technology that they use
is accessible to blind students, or else the blind will be left behind in
education and denied opportunity.  We are pleased that Penn State, one of
the largest and most recognized public universities in the country, has
agreed to take additional steps to create an environment of equality in
which blind students can pursue their educational and career aspirations
without unnecessary barriers.  The National Federation of the Blind hopes
and believes that the steps that Penn State is taking will set an example
for colleges and universities throughout the nation."

"For more than twenty years Penn State has provided assistive technologies
to students, faculty, and staff," Powers said.  "We will work with the
National Federation of the Blind and the Department of Education, Office of
Civil Rights, to put in place the additional technologies, procedures, and
ongoing policies that will help us continue meeting our strong commitment to
access."

The university has had a number of policies and programs in place to help
individuals with disabilities, such as a classroom note-taking service,
textbooks and course materials in electronic format, technology assistance,
and adjustments in testing procedures, to name just a few.  The university
has a longstanding policy of providing reasonable accommodations to anyone
requesting assistance.

"We can always do more," Powers said.  "In addition to any continued
adjustments to our policies, we also are working with our outside vendors to
see if their products and procedures can be adjusted to meet the needs of
our students."

Russlynn Ali, assistant secretary for civil rights, with the U.S. Department
of Education, said: "Colleges and universities have specific legal
obligations to provide students, faculty, and staff with disabilities the
same benefits, programs, and services.  This office is committed to working
with complainants and institutions to ensure that the important
nondiscrimination provisions of this nation's laws are enforced and
implemented."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.