[Nfbn-announce] National Federation of the Blind Testifies Before Senate Committee on Importance of Accessible Educational Technology

Amy Buresh amy.buresh74 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:49:04 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Testifies Before Senate Committee
on Importance of Accessible Educational Technology

Washington, D.C. (February 7, 2012): Mark Riccobono, executive director of
the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, testified today
before a hearing of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP)
Committee.  The hearing, "The Promise of Accessible Technology: Challenges
and Opportunities," was convened to explore the barriers and opportunities
that technology presents to Americans with disabilities.  Mr. Riccobono
testified regarding the importance of ensuring that technology used in K-12
and postsecondary educational institutions is accessible to the blind and to
other students with disabilities.

Mr. Riccobono testified in part: "Harnessing the extraordinary promise of
technology is within our reach, but it will take leadership, commitment, and
ongoing oversight.  The alternative is a future where we spend our time,
money, and innovative capacity retrofitting bridges to patch the digital
divide rather than enjoying the economic and social advantages gained by the
increased usability of technology and the increased leveraging of human
capacity that results from technology that is designed and built to be
accessible to all. . If built universally and implemented effectively,
technology will make the passion and skill of our greatest teachers even
more powerful as we nurture the next generation of leaders for our nation.
If we fail to include accessibility in that technology, we will set this
generation of students with disabilities back decades.  The cost to those
individuals and to our country is too great and the opportunity is too
promising to stand by and let that happen."

Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: "We
would like to thank Senator Tom Harkin and the members of the HELP Committee
for convening this hearing on an issue of critical importance to blind
students of all ages.  It is clear that an equal education for the blind
will not be possible without access to the many technologies being used in
both brick-and-mortar and virtual classrooms today.  The National Federation
of the Blind stands ready to work with legislators, technology developers,
and school administrators, as well as other stakeholders, to ensure that the
blind and other students with disabilities benefit from new educational
technologies rather than being segregated and excluded by them."

Mr. Riccobono made four substantive federal policy recommendations to the
committee to improve accessibility of educational technology, including:

.       Stronger oversight and accountability in government
.       Strong, functional, and rigorously enforced standards
.       Projects to collect, develop, and disseminate best-practice tools
.       Improved protections against inaccessible technology in education

Mr. Riccobono's full testimony is available upon request or at the following
link:
http://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/HELP_Committee_Testimony_Riccob
ono.doc.  For more information about the National Federation of the Blind,
please visit www.nfb.org.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.